The Man Named Armitage

"Referring back to the lone wolf that was found in the preserve of Havensboro, it has been confirmed that what killed the animal was a gunshot wound rather than health issues or any sort of poisonings. Police officials have declared a new law in the works to protect the wild life and the people of our city—"

Turning your attention away from the flat screen hanging up on a wall in the small cafe of the bookstore you worked in, you sighed as you moved the cart containing a few piled up books. After the previous days adventure, Rey had informed you that there were a few footprints left behind in the dried up mud, causing her to come up with all sorts of reasons and theories as to why it had happened. You just simply nodded your head and tuned her out, thinking about the wolf you had encountered.

Throughout the evening and during the night, you constantly thought about the animal. You were more than positive it was going to attack you with its growling, but when it had pressed its snout against your palm and lowered its head, you only thanked the heavens that something as odd as that happened. Although you wondered as to why it had happened, you let it be.

The one thing you couldn't let go of was its beauty. Sure, you were a dog lover and wished you could have your own, seeing plenty throughout your life and even having a pair at your parents, but nothing compared to the wolf. It was magnificent. Its height, the dark fur coat it had that was insanely soft and thick, to its rather stunning silver eyes. It almost looked as if it wasn't real.

Most of the wolves you saw on the news looked like any other, grey with white, some that had a little bit of brown, none of them being black—let alone, all black. If you could keep it as your own, you probably would've. Maybe then no one would think about robbing you or attacking you as you walked home.

Restocking books and adding a few new ones, you walked along the aisles with your hands filled with novels, enjoying the quietness the store had to offer as not many people had come in. Although the lack of customers was a bit of a bummer, you enjoyed the peacefulness it had to give. Usually, especially on the weekends, plenty of people came in and out, but now that people were worried about wolves attacking, you didn't see much.

Keeping your back turned as you got a hold of a few more books from the cart, you were just about to turn around as a presence was sensed, a pair of hands grabbing onto your shoulders as you jumped. "Dammit, Zorii!" You loudly whispered as you had turned around, clutching onto your chest as you gave her a look. "Did you really have to sneak up on me?" Eyeing the dark haired woman, she only stifled a laugh.

"Sorry, sorry... I saw the opportunity and took it." She shrugged as you rolled your eyes. "Hello, Y/N." She bowed her head as you sighed.

"Hi, Zorii." You muttered, grabbing the books that fell from your grip.

"I've been meaning to buy a book on aerodynamics and I have no clue as to where you'd keep books on something like that." She scratched her head as you shifted the books in your hold.

"Ah, of course, science and all of that are held to the front left side of the second floor." You pointed up.

"Thank you," she smiled as you nodded.

"I can ring you up if you find what you need, just let me know." You spoke over to her as she walked off, waving a hand.

"Will do!" At that, she left your sight.

Taking in a small breath, you looked down at the three books you had been holding, realizing they weren't in any of the nearby aisles. Sighing, you turned around, only to collide into someone. "I'm so—" seeing them instantly catch onto the books that—once again—fell from your grip, you blinked, "—rry..."