He Isn't Evil

"So you're saying that right after Eric yelled at you for being late, he praised you for doing well in practice?" your best friend and fellow initiate, Christina, asked as you ate your dinner in the mess hall. Next to her sat Will, and on either side of you sat Tris and Al. 

      You nodded, taking a bite from your sandwich. "That's so crazy!" Christina yelled. "I'm telling you, (y/n), you're one of his favorites. He wouldn't have done that to anyone else. "

      the other three initiates seemed to agree, their heads nodding. "After all..." Tris piped up. "He did make Christina hang off the railing of the chasm for five minutes..."

      "Exactly! That's what I'm saying!" Will yelled Christina nodded in agreement and gave you a skeptical glance.

      "Guys, guys..." You started, attempting to get everyone's attention once again. "I know Eric is pretty... unfavorable... but maybe he has a soft side. I mean, he does have to hold up a reputation after all."

      "A soft side?" Tris asks in disbelief. For an abnegation transfer, she doesn't bother trying to hide her attitude. "Look, (y/n), all I'm saying is that Eric is the bad guy. He doesn't have a soft side. He's evil."

      Evil?  You think to yourself. I mean, yeah, Eric isn't the most likable character, but that doesn't make him pure evil, does it?

      You continue to eat your food in peace while the other initiates continue to speak ill of Eric and his antics. Christina notices that you seem a little off-put after the conversation and bumps you with your foot. When you look up, she gives you a questioning look, as if to ask, "Are you okay?" but you just shake your head and avert your eyes in reply.

      After you finish eating, you silently toss your trash into the bin and walk back to your apartment, alone. You washed up and headed to bed, where you thought about Eric until you fell asleep. 

      I don't think he's evil. You thought, your eyes shut and body tired from training. Maybe he just needs a little push.