Reckless Behavior

Waking up anywhere but your own bed is always a scary feeling; the thought of being asleep somewhere you're not supposed to be makes you cringe slightly.

As your eyes fluttered open, you couldn't really recall what had happened or where you were. The stark whiteness of the room hurt your eyes and forced you to squint until your eyesight adjusted. When your eyes finally get used to the bright room, you see Eric sitting in a chair next to your bed and memories started flooding back to you. Your face was so sore. You were positive your nose was broken, and you noticed that there were thick bandages laid atop it. Your cheeks and head were severely bruised and you could already feel an intense migraine coming on.

fuck, you thought. Peter kicked my ass.

Eric noticed you were awake, yet said nothing. He stared at you with piercing blue eyes. His hair was tousled and you wondered why he was here in the infirmary with you instead of training with the other initiates. 

"What?" you say, meeting Eric's gaze and letting your attitude slip through. "Here to rub my loss in my face?" 

Eric sighs heavily. "No, actually I'm here to make sure you're okay." He continues to mess with his hair even further, almost nervously. "You could show a little appreciation instead of yelling at me. "

You bite your lip and look away, guilt overcoming you and silence filling the room. 

"We had to drag Peter off of you," Eric says after a moment of silence. "Whatever you said to him, on top of you spitting in his face, really pushed him over the edge. As we dragged him off of you, he begged Four and I to just let him kill you." 

You didn't know what to say, so you didn't say anything at all. Instead, you let your mouth hang open, just slightly, and stared at your hands that were nervously fiddling with the thin sheet that covered you. 

He could've killed me, you thought. Eric could've let him kill me, but he didn't.

"I'll make sure you don't get paired with him to spar again," he says, once again breaking the tense silence. You looked up at him but he refused to meet your gaze. "Don't want him to hurt you like this again."

"Eric, I can take care of myself." You say, again letting a twinge of attitude slip through. Eric finally meets your gaze with a firm look. "You don't need to babysit me-"

Eric interrupts you before you can say anything else. "(Y/N) don't be fucking stupid!" he yells. His glare pierces through you, sending an icy chill down your body. You don't dare move. You don't dare interrupt. "Excuse me for not wanting you to fucking die." 

You had never seen Eric so protective over anything before. With his last statement said, he got up to leave. His posture was stiff and angry as he walked towards the door and he didn't bother to even look at you as he left. Right when he reaches the doorway, you decide to speak up.

"Hey, Eric," You say, stopping him in his tracks. He looks over his shoulder and you see that his anger has been replaced with a sort of sadness. his usual wintry blue eyes were now a subtle, monotone grey. "Thank you," You finally say. 

Instead of replying, he turns his gaze towards the ground. right before he turns to walk out the door he says "Don't be so reckless next time."