Fighting

Honestly, walking into the training room felt like a breath of fresh air compared to being alone with your thoughts in your apartment. The other initiates hated the extensive training that you all had to go through, but you just found it refreshing. You somewhat enjoyed the burn that resided in your muscles-- it reminded you that you were alive.  

      As you walked through the threshold of the training room, Eric slapped his hand onto your back. "Nice to see you on time, initiate." He said, chuckling. 

      "I have a name, y'know." you retorted, not bothering to hide the attitude in your tone. You shrugged away from his touch and he hesitantly removed his hand from your back. 

      "And what might that name be?" he asked. He put his hands on his hips, waiting for a reply. You took this opportunity  to take in his appearance. He wore a fitted black T-shirt paired with matching sweat pants. His posture was very stiff and uptight as he waited on your response. 

      "My name is (y/n)," you replied rather harshly. "Now please, don't call me 'initiate' again." 

      "Will do, cupcake." He replied. You felt your face and ears begin to heat up at the sound of Eric's nickname. He noticed your blush and smirked in accomplishment.

      You hurriedly turn and walk towards the arena where the other initiates were gathered. Christina quickly notices your reddened face. "What's gotten you all hot and bothered, (y/n)?" she asks.

      "Ah, um, it's nothing." you reply, a little hastily. Christina wears a smug look as she turns away, shaking her head.

      "Alright initiates, listen up." Four yells, stepping into the arena, getting everyone's attention. "Today, two of you are going to be sparring, one-on-one. When fighting, you get the opportunity to gain or lose points on the scoreboard. Based on how high or low the person you beat, or get beaten by, determines how many points you gain or lose. For example, if you beat someone with a high rank, you could move up quite a bit on the scoreboard, and if you lose to someone of a high rank,  you could go down quite a bit; and vice versa. You fight until one of you is unable to continue. Does everyone understand?"

      The group of initiates nod and Eric takes over. "Alright then," he says. "Today we have Molly and Christina sparring." 

      "Are you kidding me?" Christina mumbles under her breathe. "It's my first fight and they're putting me against that tank?"

      Even though Molly is huge, maybe Christina has a chance in this fight. Molly may be able to throw a punch, sure, but she's also slow. Christina might just be fast enough to dodge until she's able to throw a good punch when Molly least expects it.

...Or not...

      Christina did put up a good fight, but once she got knocked down, Molly didn't give her the opportunity to get back up, repeatedly landing punches to Christina's face.

      "Alright, that's enough." Four states, calling Molly off. Molly walks away with a bit too much pep in her step while Christina attempts to stand on wobbly legs. "Can someone please take Christina to the infirmary?"  Four continues.

      "No." Christina protests, wiping the blood from her face. "I'm fine." 

      Nevertheless, Tris takes Christina's arm and leads her toward the infirmary. 

      "Alright, everyone, let's take a break." Eric yells to the group. "And (y/n), I need to speak with you."

      At that, you roll your eyes and quietly follow Eric into his private office.