breaking curfew

The clock read 2:37 a.m. You couldn't sleep and all this tossing and turning was driving you insane. You had tried everything from warm milk, to flipping over your pillow, and you still couldn't fall asleep. When you got out of bed to get a drink of water, that's when you decided that you had to get out of this house. 

Quickly, you threw on your black shorts and sweatshirt along with your running shoes, and out the door you went. 

After a minute of walking, you decided that it was too tame for you, so you decided to jog. Pacing yourself and counting your steps as you went, you eventually reached the chasm. 

In the distance, you saw a figure standing next to the chasm railing, and you soon realized that it was Eric, standing guard with his arms crossed over his chest. 

You kept up your jog, hoping he wouldn't see you, but-- of course-- Eric's eyes caught yours. He called out to you as you crept closer, with slight annoyance in his tone. "What are you doing out? It's hours passed curfew!"

Curfew? You thought. But I live on my own.

"Wait, there's a curfew?" you asked, confused.  "But I'm dauntless-born, not a transfer." 

Eric pinched the bridge of his nose, annoyed. "(y/n), until you're through with initiation, all dauntless-born initiates and transfer initiates are treated by the same rules and regulations." he said. He unpinched his nose and looked up to meet your eyes. "So yes, you do still have a curfew."

"Oh," was all you could say. You turned around to walk back to your apartment, but you suddenly felt a hand on your shoulder.

"Hold on there, cupcake." Eric said. "Lemme walk you back, at least." He let his hand drop from your shoulder and motioned for you to lead the way.

The walk started out uncomfortably quiet, so you decided to break the silence. "So..." you started. "I still don't fully understand why you treat me different than the other initiates." This wasn't an attempt to just make small talk, either. 

Eric sighed but appeared to remain calm. "Like I said before, you're different and I kinda like you." he said.

"Yeah but... why?" you asked

"You're just different, y'know? You carry yourself differently, and I don't know why, but can't stay angry with you for long." He paused before continuing. "For instance, if someone else were to talk back to me like you did, let's just they they wouldn't have gotten off as easy as you did. You make me feel different."

You could feel your cheeks and ears heating up as he spoke. Just a few days ago, you had hated Eric--thought he was a selfish asshole, even. So why is this happening now? you wondered.

"But I still-" You started.

Before you could finish your statement, Eric interrupted you. "(y/n), no more questions, okay?" he said. "For now let's just accept the fact that I like you."

You looked up from your feet and realized that Eric had been looking at you as he talked. When you nodded your head in reply, he looked away and continued walking. 

The rest of the walk was quiet, but not uncomfortably quiet. You still had questions, sure, but for now you were content with knowing what Eric thought of you. But couldn't Eric get in trouble if someone were to find out that he was showing favoritism towards initiates? What would Eric's superior--Max-- do if he found out? 

As you drew closer to your apartment, you realized that you enjoyed having Eric's company and that you didn't want him to leave. It's not like you could ask him to stay, though...

When you got to your apartment, you pulled out your keys and unlocked the door. "Do you by any chance want to come inside for a bit?" you ask Eric hopefully. 

Just testing the waters, you thought. 

"No, I probably shouldn't," He replied. "Technically I'm still supposed to be on guard; Plus I wouldn't wanna wake up anyone you live with."

Shyly, you glanced towards the ground as you spoke. "Um, I live alone actually." you said. 

"What?" Eric suddenly looked bewildered. "Where's your parents? I thought you lived with them?" 

When you told him that you didn't wanna talk about it, Eric suddenly looked sad, almost as if he knew what you meant and mourned for your loss. He put a hand on your shoulder and pulled you in for a quick side hug. 

When he pulled away, he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Um, Goodnight, (y/n). See you at training tomorrow." He said, letting his hand drop and turning to walk away. 

Wide eyed, you watched him walk away for a moment, and then slowly turned to walk into your apartment. you took off your boots but stayed in your sweatshirt. 

It smells a bit like him, now, you thought.  Like sawdust and musky cologne. 

You got back into your bed and--finally-- you were able to get some sleep.