chapter 12 squirrelpaw, stormfur Hawkfrost

Chapter 12 Squirrelpaw, Stormfur, Hawkfrost

Stormfur pov'

My heart raced as did my paws as I swept up the trail into the cave that took my sister's life but inside that dark cave was my love Brook Where Small Fish Swims or Brook for short. I shake the snow from my fur and gather a look for her. I find her with Stoneteller I want to go over to her but I stop I wanted her to come to me not the other way around. So I sat on my rump curling my tail around my front paws. But then she let out a mew of happiness and I thought that she had seen me but she raced past me toward Crowpaw!

"Oh Crowpaw, I've missed you!" her mew reached my ears and they burned with rejection. Then I see Squirrelpaw looking at me with sympathy in her kind green eyes and I look away, but my heart is torn. I get up and walk over to her and she looks at me with surprise but leans against me anyway.

I take comfort in her sweet smell like those roses that I found at the Twolegplace. If we have kits....um did I just think that? Yes I did...I want to be mates with Squirrelpaw! I know of my feeling for her are as a crush but being with her now even for this briefest of moments I know that I want her...but will she have me? I've seen how she is with Brambleclaw...Ashfur...can get lost! I lean against her and I hear her purr as she twines her tail with mine. I wonder if she heard my thoughts just now. I walk away as the rest of the clan cats come into the cave followed by Talon and Night. I see Tallstar leaning heavily on Mudclaw and Onewhisker. He seemed oblivious to all around him, his breathing labored and tired, I fear that he will join Starclan tonight. I wonder if Mudclaw will be a good leader. But that is not my place my place is beside Riverclan. But I can't shake Squirrelpaw from my mind as I gather with the Riverclan cats by Hawkfrost, whom I still cannot believe is deputy! I don't think Mistyfoot was killed by a fox as the scent had told but who really knows? I have my suspicions that Hawkfrost might be behind her death but I have no real prove, sadly.

With a sigh I greet him with respect and sit down next to Dawnflower, she flicks her tail about my ear in greeting.

"Long day, Stormfur?" asked Mosspelt as she sat down beside me. I lay down with my head on my paws in pain. My eyes roamed the cave until they found Brook again this time I stared at her with narrowed yellow eyes my blue-gray fur bristling with rejection.

"Stormfur...I ....." Brook broke off as I rose to meet her, my tail lashing, I raised a paw and swiped it crossed her muzzle! She rolled from the impact and blood sprayed form the gash in her cheek. I turn away when a bundle of gray-black fur collides with me and I go tumbling my claws finding no purchase on the wet stones. But I lash out anyway catching my attacker in the chest and another in the belly. The scent of my attacker was Crowpaw; I should have known he had his eye on Brook after Feathertail died they have the same color pelts and kind hearts. But he can have her! I don't like her anymore! Then I see Leopardstar stalking towards me with an angry look on her muzzle.

"Stormfur why did you attack that cat?" she was mad very mad, in fact furious! I stand tall I do not care anymore I want to be with Squirrelpaw instead, all-throughout the journey I've watched her and my feelings for her have grown.

I gather my courage and start to give an answer but my leader cut me off with a snarl.

"I'm shocked by your action! I fear that I will not have a warrior who is willing to attack other cats! From this day forth you are no longer a member of Riverclan!" With a gasp from the other clans I raced from the cave and into the snow, leaving them all behind, if I die then so be it!

Squirrelpaw Pov

I wonder why Stormfur left I look at Brambleclaw but he is looking at nothing his eyes closed. With a sigh I leave him and go out to see if I can find Stormfur. I knew that my fur grows hot when I'm with him I don't feel that way around Brambleclaw or Ashfur...why do I care? I give my dark ginger fur a lick before taking off to find Stormfur, Leafpaw and Hawkfrost follow me but then split off on their own not far from the cave.

I pick up his scent and I find him at Feathertail's grave with his lying down.

"Stormfur what just happened?" I ask softy as I crept closer to him and place my tail on his shoulder.

"Can I ask you a question Squirrelpaw?" I see the uncertainly in Stormfur's eyes.

"You may, my friend, speak freely," I respond.

He looks me dead in my green eyes and speaks.

"I like you –nay- I love you, will you be my mate?"

Hawkfrost pov

Leafpaw and I followed her sister after Stormfur was banished from the clan. I can't say that I will miss him for he is or was my rival for the deputyship but now that he is gone I can breathe easier. With my fur pressed up against Leafpaw I felt safe and in control, I know that the path that my father has laid before my paws will be hard but I will try for to become leader is at my paws!

"Hawkfrost I smell my sister I think we found her," Leafpaw's thought jolted me out of my thoughts. I looked into her light amber eyes with a smile and raced to where the scent was closest.

We rounded the corner with such speed that when we stopped we skidded into a rock! "Ouch!"

I hear Stormfur asking Squirrelpaw to be his mate.....what! Did I hear that right? I shake my head then "I hear my own forbidden mate's sharp intake of breathe. I guess he asked her! I stifle a meow of laughter. This is like me and Leafpaw! Or is it not? I perk my ears to hear my mate's sister reply.

"Stormfur I like you, yes I will be your mate only if you join Thunderclan, but you should know something..." she looked down at her paws, before looking back at the tom.

"Yes my dear?"

"I'm barren, I was born this way," she started to sob; Stormfur placed his tail on her heaving shoulder.

"we can find a kit or kits for you, or we can just enjoy the two of us, I don't' love you less, Squirrelpaw" he then pressed his body around her licking her ginger fur and in that moment I backed away with Leafpaw on my tail.

"Leafpaw will we have kits?" I ask her.

"Yes even Starclan wants us to have kits they told me as much," purring like one of those monsters I lean against her as we make it back to the cave with Stormfur and Squirrelpaw.

I stand beside Leafpaw as she watches her sister and Stormfur go and talk privately with Firestar. They twine tail and purr when I look back at them from grooming Leafpaw's pelt.

"So what did he say?" Leafpaw asked her sister.

"He said that Stormfur can live in ThunderClan!"

"That's awesome!"

I walked away from Leafpaw for I heard Stoneteller call all the cats to gather around the prey that the tribecats and the clan cats had caught.

Tallstar wheezed a breath to call to Crowpaw about becoming a warrior. But Crowpaw stopped him saying that he wanted to be known as Crowfeather in honor of Feathertail. Tallstar told him that was a wise choice for had not the noble she-cat died then the clan cats would be in trouble from the lion-cat.

That night we slept together me and Leafpaw and I wonder what she was dreaming about as she twitched and purred in her sweet, sweet slumber.

Days later the clans gathered on the edge of Tribe land.

"Crowfeather are you coming?" Tallstar asked but Crowfeather shook his head to the amazement of Windclan and the Chosen Cats he spoke up in low tones.

"No, Tallstar, I'm staying with Brook and the spirit of Feathertail, I-I love Brook now and I want to stay," with his head bowed he left the gathered cats to stand next to the Prey-hunter. Their tails twined in love, black on silver. Firestar gave the yowl and the clans moved on to the land beyond the Mountains.

"Hawkfrost, this is it! We are going to the Clans New Home!" Leafpaw voice held such excitement that I purred aloud, "Yes my darling we are!"