Part 5- Friendship and betrayal

Luca arrived at Verana city to see sentinels rebuilding a barrier and a small group resting, supposedly as a garrison. He saw General Xavier among them. He also saw an imperial soldier tied to a stake.
"General, it's great to finally meet you."
Luca said, approaching him. Xavier saw the Sentinel crest on his armour before welcoming him.
"The Same to you. What's your name?"
He asked.
"Luca. My name is Luca. I'm here as commanded by the queen to help in any way I can."
Xavier thought for a moment.
"You see that imperial over there? Get information on the imperial base from him. Where it is, who is there and what it looks like. That's your first task. Use this to motivate him to talk should you need to."
Xavier handed him a dagger.
"I'll get it out of him, sir. I won't let you down."
With that, Luca took the dagger and went to question the soldier.

Meanwhile, the imperial ship carrying fresh troops arrived at Verana's shoreline, with Zap bring included in it. He stepped off the ship, looking at the surroundings.
"Looks like a decent place... I can see why the emperor wants it."
He said to himself. Soon after reaching the base, he went to explore. Not being under direct imperial command gave him the right to do as he pleased when not in battle. He walked over the open plains of Verana when he bumped into a Quilava.
"Oh- I'm sorry. I didn't see you there."
The Quilava said apologetically.
"It's cool man- you didn't mean to."
Zap replied.
"Hold on, are you..."
The Quilava examined him.
"Are you Zap?"
"Uh, yes, I am. Do I know you?"
Zap replied.
"It's me, Ryan! Your old buddy! Remember me?"
Zap thought for a moment before speaking.
"Yes- I remember now. How have you been, man? It's been a while."
"I've been great. This war changed that though... I haven't had time to do anything fun since it started- the flaming arrow always has me occupied. What about you? Which sentinel group did you join?"
Ryan asked, making Zap hesitate.
"Actually, I'm here on imperial duty as a bounty hunter. I'm supposed to be fighting the sentinels."
Ryan grabbed his dagger, ready to draw it.
"What? Why? Don't you know how evil emperor Shadow is? He wants us all killed! I'll never respect him! You should fight for us!"
Ryan insisted.
"Hey- I'm willing to fight for the sentinels if it pays well. Bounty hunters have to make a living somehow."
"Well, come with me. Present yourself before the queen and she may agree to pay you. We can fight together that way."
Ryan suggested.
"You sure?"
"Of course. Cmon- let's go."
"Alright... Let's go."
Without another word, the pair went to the queen's castle to present Zap before her.

"What did you get out of him?"
General Xavier asked, looking at the dagger in Luca's paw, covered in blood.
"After some motivation, I managed to get the location of the imperial base- on the shore, in the centre of the country's border. They're consistently receiving fresh supplies and troops- if we're going to take it, we need the whole army and the alliance groups."
General Xavier nodded.
"I believe you're right. I'll take the message to the queen myself- you take charge while I'm gone."
Xavier said to Luca.
"O-Okay."
With that, Xavier left the camp. With possession of this new information, the days of imperial control over Verana's shoreline were numbered.

Ryan and Zap appeared before the queen.
"My queen, I present to you Zap. He wishes to work for us as a bounty hunter."
The queen looked at Zap.
"Is this true? Say what you will, I will listen."
She said to him. Zap simply looked back, wide eyed.
"Can you speak? I'm very busy- I do not have time for this. Say what you will and leave me."
Zap snapped out of it.
"Sorry- I was just admiring your beauty."
He replied.
"I don't need flattery. I simply wish to manage my army in this time of crisis. If you wish to fight for us, I shall grant you an amount of 500 gold pieces to start. We aren't as well supplied as the imperials but we have something more valuable- hope. You may accept my offer or leave immediately. The choice is yours."
Zap looked at Ryan, who nodded.
"Alright, I'll do it."
"Very well. Follow Ryan and the flaming arrow- they'll give you assignments to carry out, and if they haven't got any for you, return here. There will be work available for you as long as this dreadful war continues."
Blaze said to him.
"Thank you, my queen."
Ryan said, bowing and leaving the castle.
"I hope to see you soon, my beautiful queen."
Zap said before leaving as well.

"So, you're with us now."
Ryan said, smiling.
"I guess I am. You ready to kill some imperials?"
"Ready as ever."
"Than stop the chat and let's get to it."
Zap said, grinning as they left the sentinel stronghold and walked out into the open plains of Verana.

Blaze awaited Xavier's arrival as she was informed of his impending presence. Before he arrived, a Charizard walked in.
"Your highness, the new supply of siege engines are ready."
He said to her.
"Wonderful. Have them ready- we will be using them very soon."
She replied. He bowed and left the room. Xavier arrived soon after.
"Ah, General Xavier. We've been expecting you."
Blaze said to him.
"My queen, I have some great news."
He said, kneeling before her.
"Really? Tell me at once."
"We have the location of the imperial base."
Blaze was shocked.
"Are you certain?"
"The location came from a captured imperial. I'm absolutely certain."
She smiled.
"Excellent. This marks the beginning of the imperial's defeat."
She said.
"My queen, I request permission to have all sentinel units and allied forces move to the shoreline and capture their base."
Blaze frowned.
"I'm afraid we cannot yet attack them as we have another problem. The Vikings are attacking our sentinel camps- they must be dealt with."
"Very well. I shall take a troop to the mountains and clear them out."
Xavier responded.
"Contact the flaming arrow's leader, Ryan. He will help you I can assure you. They also have a new bounty hunter who can help. Find them in the west and take them with you- as soon as we eliminate the Vikings, the will drive the imperials out of Verana and we will fight them back to their home country, Ornera."
The queen said to him.
"Very good, my queen. I shall take my leave and carry out your request."
He left the castle, looking for the flaming arrow. The imperials were close to losing their main base in the war, and only the Vikings delayed that day. The war would soon change for both sides, and the imperials couldn't prepare for it enough.