Chapter 2

The WindClan camp was surprisingly well protected against weather considering the rest of their territory was far from sheltered. The camp was settled in a small patch of pine trees, while heather bushes and rocks surrounded it. 

 As soon as Adder stepped into the entrance of the camp he was greeted by stares of confusion and disgust. Whispers erupted among the clan members as Palespeck padded towards a large stone and upon closer examination, she was leading him into a den beneath the stone. 

 "Heronstar, I must speak with you" Palespeck called into the den. 

 A small gray tom peeked his head out from the darkness, obviously taken aback at the sight of Adder. 

 "Who is this Palespeck?" The tom's voice was a deep rumble. 

Not the voice I expected from such a small cat.

"That's what I needed to speak with you about. You see, Adder wants to join our clan. I told him he needed to gain your permission first" she bowed her head respectfully at her leader. 

Heronstar turned his blue gaze back to Adder, "You wish to join WindClan hm? You look a little over apprentice age. Are there any other rogues with you?" 

 Adder shook his head and nervously swallowed the lump in his throat.

"No Heronstar, I've been alone for a while now. I've heard about the clans ever since I was a kit. I want nothing more than to join and prove my worth as a warrior" 

Heronstar's whiskers twitched at Adder's words and a slight purr thundered from his chest, "Determination. That's a very good trait to have Adder" 

Adder's nerves began to diminish at Heronstar's relaxed tone. 

He doesn't hate me then. But what if he doesn't let me join despite all that?  No. Stop that Adder! Don't assume the worst until he's said something. 

The gray tom continued to stare him down, "Very well Adder. You may join our clan. We're in need of more warriors" 

Adder's breath stuttered for a moment and his green eyes widened in shock. 

He said yes! You're going to be a WindClan warrior, don't just sit in silence like a mouse-brain!

"T-thank you Heronstar. I won't let you down, I promise"

Heronstar nodded his head briefly and climbed up to the top stone. 

"Let all cats of the moor, gather beneath the Sky Stone for a Clan meeting!" Heronstar's voice echoed across the camp. 

Adder observed as warriors started sitting under the stone, looking up at their leader in anticipation. Even two tiny kits stumbled over their own paws to join in on the meeting. 

"Frostkit, Pebblekit. Stay still and behave yourselves" their mother, a brown she cat with white speckles,  scolded gently as she curled her tail around her paws.

"It's probably about that rogue Palespeck brought into camp" a young silver dappled she-cat meowed in a whisper over to a long haired tom with ginger patches. 

"I can't believe she didn't just run him off" the tom murmured. 

Heronstar cut off the whispers of his clanmates as he started his announcement. 

"As we all know, these past four moons have been rough on us. So many of our best warriors have lost their lives, as well as some of our respected elders" he glanced down at his paws as he spoke. 

 I knew Clan life was merciless, but Heronstar makes it sound like none of these deaths should've happened so quickly. Strange.

"That is why I have accepted Adder's offer of him wanting to join WindClan. He will train with our apprentices and be made a warrior just as any normal clan cat would"

Yowls of protest erupted from the crowd when they took a moment to let Heronstar's words sink in. 

"You're letting a rogue join us?!" 

"We're no better than ThunderClan now!" 

"We can't trust outsiders if our clanmates are dying!" 

"We can just have more kits if we need more warriors! Run him off!" 

Heronstar growled loudly, "Silence!" the yowls slowly died down and instead grew into hushed whispers. 

"I understand your concern. If Adder does anything to break the Warrior Code I'll immediately tell him to leave" he sighed and looked over at Adder, "Adder, step forward please" 

Adder took shaky steps towards the leader, he was terrified now. He wasn't expecting this reaction from the Clan. Everyone seemed to be completely against him except the leader and the deputy.

Don't they want new warriors? 

"Adder, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Adderpaw" Heronstar meowed and touched noses with the newly appointed apprentice. 

"Jaytuft, you're finally ready to take on your first apprentice. You had an fine mentor in Cloudshine. Though she has joined StarClan, I hope you will pass on the lessons you were taught to Adderpaw" 

A long haired, gray tortoiseshell tom padded up to Adderpaw and he gave a respectful lap of his tongue to his forehead, "Don't mind the others. I'm glad you joined and even more glad to be your mentor" 

Adderpaw let out a purr of delight at his mentor's words. 

Jaytuft was a good choice. Heronstar knew the right warrior to train me, maybe this won't be as bad as I thought.