Chapter 8

Blood seeped down Thistlejaw's neck, staining his blue-gray fur black. He stumbled forward and choked on his words but nothing came out except a gargling noise and more blood bubbling from his fresh wound.  

His yellow eyes strained to look up at a shadowy figure with fiery amber eyes. The cat raised it's massive paw and struck Thistlejaw's chest. The amount of force was enough to send Thistlejaw flying into the freezing river behind him.

Thistlejaw flailed helplessly in the dark depths of the currents, his blood leaving a trail in the water. Despite his legs thrashing about he made no progress in swimming to safety. 

I can't swim to the surface! I'm sinking. I'm going to die! StarClan help me!

His vision started to go blotchy and his lungs slowly filled with water. Then there was complete darkness.

"Thistlejaw, wake up!" 

Thistlejaw jolted awake and gasped for air, panting desperately. He scanned around, finally realizing that he was safe and sound in the warriors den. The voice who had woken him came from a dark gray tabby she-cat with amber eyes.

Amber eyes. Just like the ones in my dream. Thistlejaw shuddered in fear at the thought.

"Great StarClan, Thistlejaw! Are you alright? That's the worst I've seen you after a nightmare" the concerned she-cat meowed. 

Thistlejaw avoided eye contact with her and shamefully sat up in his nest. His fur was still ruffled up in terror and his mind was still processing that he was still alive. 

It felt so real. How can a dream even begin to feel like that? 

"I'm fine Ebonyfern. It was just a nightmare, nothing I can't get over" he replied in a monotone voice. He hated cats seeing the weakest sides of him, it wasn't normal for a ShadowClan warrior to be afraid of petty dreams. 

We're the fiercest Clan in the forest. If anyone knew how scared out of my own pelt I still am from something that isn't real I'd be the spectacle of ShadowClan. Thistlejaw the frightened little mouse. 

"Am I going on a patrol this morning?" he lapped his tongue against his paw and brought his paw over his ears and face to clean himself. 

Ebonyfern shifted her paws nervously and took a closer step forward to Thistlejaw, "Look Thistlejaw. I know you hate talking about it, but maybe you should tell Tawnyclaw about these constant nightmares you keep having" 

Thistlejaw's muscles tensed up as he kept cleaning his fur, "I told you I'm fine Ebonyfern. I don't need Tawnyclaw giving me any herbs" 

"That's not really what I meant...you keep having these nightmares. What if StarClan is trying to give you a message?" Ebonyfern's whiskers twitched and her tail curled against his own. 

Thistlejaw nearly busted out in laughter at Ebonyfern's theory. His ears flicked in amusement and he bit his tongue. 

"StarClan coming to me when they could easily go to Tawnyclaw or Mintstar? Oh yes, I'm sure that's exactly what's happening" 

Ebonyfern thwacked her paw against the back of his head, "I'm being serious Thistlejaw, cats don't just have nightmares every time they close their eyes. Either way, you should go talk to Tawnyclaw. I'm worried about you" her voice softened from her previous tenseness. 

A  long sigh escaped Thistlejaw's mouth and he nodded briefly, "Very well. I'll go see her today. But you shouldn't worry about me Ebonyfern, you have your own life to worry about. Swiftflower's kits are becoming apprentices today"