Chapter 9

"That's ridiculous Silveroak!" a yowl of disbelief cut into Adderpaw's slumber like slashing claws. The brown tabby groggily lifted his head and blinked away the blurriness of sleep. A beam of sunlight had started peering through the den entrance, making Hollypaw's soft, dappled silver fur seemingly glow. 

She's beautiful...I wonder if when we're warriors she'll consider being my mate.  Adderpaw's thoughts drifted to an image of him at Hollypaw's side, their kits sleeping against her belly. He could practically feel the warmth of her muzzle nuzzling into his fur. 

Another yowl interrupted his fantasy and he decided to quietly pad out of the den to greet the chilly, morning air.  Who are you even kidding Adderpaw? She'd never pick you as her mate. Besides, you have more important things to think about.

"Calm yourself, Pineblaze. He hasn't made his decision yet" Silveroak's soothing voice murmured to the hot-headed senior warrior. They were sitting at the fresh-kill pile along with Jaytuft and Heronstar. 

"You still put the idea in his head! Honestly, a rogue as our medicine cat? What's next? A kittypet as our leader?" Pineblaze flattened his ears, his lips curling into a disgusted snarl. Heronstar tensed up and stood in between him and Silveroak. 

"Pineblaze you need to control yourself. This is hardly the way to speak to your medicine cat" Heronstar gave the brown tabby a firm growl. 

"What does it matter now when she's choosing him as her apprentice? I was lenient when he only wanted to be a warrior Heronstar, but we all know the role of a medicine cat is sacred among the Clans and especially WindClan,"

"What will they all think of us when we give that position to a former rogue? They'll think we hold no respect for StarClan!" Pineblaze's fur bristled and his tail lashed in anger. Whispers and of agreement became audible among cats who were of earshot away from the conversation. 

"That is simply not true Pineblaze. StarClan work in mysterious ways, I assure you if they disagreed with the offer I gave Adderpaw they would've said something" the she-cat's eyes narrowed at Pineblaze. She was clearly offended and furious that the senior warrior would dare argue with her in such a threatening manner. 

I don't blame her though! Pineblaze has always been quick to anger but he's never dared challenge authority. I wonder what Heronstar will do about all this, surely he'll give a punishment to Pineblaze for speaking so harshly! 

Adderpaw's legs quivered from the amount of hostility that was in the air. He quickly became embarrassed of how much he probably looked like a frightened kit at the moment. How would he be expected to go into battle when he acted like this when trouble arose in their own Clan?

Heronstar turned his head, spotting Adderpaw standing outside the apprentice den. His blue eyes softened apologetically as he looked back at Pineblaze who was still seething with anger. Jaytuft was helping Silveroak calm down. 

"Pineblaze, I'm ashamed of how you've acted today. I'm putting you on apprentice duties for three sunrises. You can start by pulling ticks off the elders" the small gray tom sat calmly and waited for the brown tabby's response. All he received was a quiet grumble and Pineblaze storming into the medicine cat den to wait for Silveroak to make mouse-bile. 

"Heronstar, Silveroak. I must deeply apologize for my brother's behavior. I assure you it won't happen again" Redstripe stepped over to them and Silveroak gently put her tail against Redstripe's mouth to stop him from speaking. 

"Hush. You don't need to apologize on his behalf. Pineblaze needs to realize that his outbursts have consequences even as a warrior" she let out a long sigh and walked into her den to help Pineblaze. Redstripe stood there in silence with a cold expression on his face while he picked up a rabbit from the fresh-kill pile.