Chapter 13

Moons had passed since the night of Pineblaze's death. Leaf-bare was upon the four Clans and prey had become even less scarce than before. 

Adderpaw continued to train hard with Jaytuft, telling Silveroak the news that he didn't wish to be apprenticed by her. Disappointment had been clear to see in her eyes, but she remained understanding despite it. 

The first snowflakes of Leaf-bare danced gracefully down to the ground below. Despite the weather, Adderpaw was busy trying to pass his warrior assessment. A cold chill ran up Adderpaw's spine, but he tried to ignore it, setting his sights on a rabbit that was sniffing the grass in search for something to nibble on. 

He flattened himself to the ground and slowly began to approach the rabbit. His mouth was practically watering at the thought of sinking his teeth into a warm piece of prey. However, he'd give up the rabbit to the elders first. Streamheart wasn't doing so well these days, there was a good chance she wouldn't survive Leaf-bare.

All the more reason I need to speak with her about my mother. I've been so busy these past moons I haven't had a chance to sit and talk with her for a long time. 

As soon as Adderpaw had approached the rabbit close enough, he leaped out at it. The rabbit bolted across the moor in fear, trying to get back to it's burrow. Adderpaw swiftly ran after it, the frosty cold air nipped at his nose and the falling snow was starting to get into his eyes. The rabbit moved clumsily down a hill and Adderpaw took his chance to bounce on top of the rabbit and fasten his jaws around it's neck until he crushed it's windpipe. 

When the rabbit fell limp he took a few heartbeats to catch his breath. He had no idea hunting in this type of weather would be so difficult. Surprisingly this had been one of his best hunts all season. 

And there's plenty of meat on this rabbit's bones. It could fill at least two or three cats' bellies. 

Adderpaw proudly picked the rabbit back up and made his way back to Jaytuft. His mentor was sitting under the shelter of a lonely pine tree. His fur appeared to be far fluffier than it was in Greenleaf; perfect for keeping warm in Leaf-bare. 

"You caught it! Well great StarClan, it looks like I'll be speaking with Heronstar about your warriors ceremony!" Jaytuft meowed happily and gestured with his tail for Adderpaw to follow him to camp. Adderpaw complied, slightly slowed down by the weight of the rabbit.

The camp clearing nearly looked empty. The snow had driven most cats into their dens, a few warriors remained under the shelter of trees sharing tongues and prey. And Robinpaw was showing Frostpaw and Pebblepaw a battle technique for when there came to be deeper snow.

Adderpaw couldn't believe how fast the two kits had grown. It seemed like just yesterday they were mewling and tumbling around carelessly. Now they were sharing a den together and learning the basics of survival in a Clan.

Hollypaw stepped out of the elder's den and beamed when she spotted Adderpaw carrying the rabbit, "Wow, Adderpaw! That's one of the biggest rabbits I've ever seen! Streamheart and Oatstep will love it" she purred.

Adderpaw couldn't talk with the mouthful of rabbit, he simply nodded in acknowledgement towards Hollypaw and made his way into the elder's den. He placed the rabbit in between the two elders and shook the snow off of his fur. 

The golden tabby tom looked over at Streamheart in excitement, "Well, well, Adderpaw brought us a rabbit. Thank you young'in this'll be delicious, I'm sure." He prodded the rabbit towards Streamheart's nose. The frail, blind she-cat sniffed at the rabbit and took a weak bite from it's belly. 

"Streamheart? Do you need Silveroak to take a look at you?--" 

"I don't need anybody's help. I can function just fine!" Streamheart hissed raggedly, her claws raked through the moss in her nest. Adderpaw flinched back at the she-cat's sudden hostility.