Chapter 28

Anxiety fluttered in Adderstorm's chest, causing him to gasp awake in his nest. Green eyes darted from side to side, checking for danger. There was nothing to be heard or seen besides the chirps of birds searching for morning meals and the chilling breeze from outside the warriors' den. 

His muscles relaxed at his realization. No other cat knew about the incident with ShadowClan. He had made sure to cover up their forest scent as much as he could before heading into camp. However, the memory of the intense face-off between him and Aspenshade, and not to mention the sheer grief Thistlejaw was going through with having to kill his own brother, still made his fur spike. 

Adderstorm stepped out of the den, making sure not to step on any cat's tails. The sky was gray, with clouds rolling in the distance. He put his nose to the sky and inhaled deeply, sure enough, the scent of incoming rain was prominent in the air.  Perfect for hiding my scent! I'll try to catch Thistlejaw on a patrol later. Things were so hectic at ShadowClan camp, I could hardly get a word out to him. I need to know if he's okay.

The WindClan camp wasn't bustling like it usually was. Palespeck's body had already been taken out to be buried and any cats that were outside their dens were either on patrol or eating from the fresh-kill pile. 

The brown tabby strode across the clearing to pick up a mouse in his jaws, but as he opened his mouth a searing pain burned behind his eyes. He hissed loudly while his claws unsheathed and dug into the ground. When he went to open up his eyes all he could see was inky blackness. Did I go blind?  Adderstorm panicked.

Starry transparent figures of cats circled around him. Their eyes were glowing full of concern and the first cat to speak, Adderstorm immediately recognized as Jaytuft's voice. 

"Adderstorm, today is the day. You must stop her before it's too late. You must.

Another voice echoed in the darkness, a commanding she-cat voice that certainly had to belong to Palespeck. 

"ShadowClan is finished with their end of the prophecy, but WindClan is still in grave danger if she gets away with any more of this!"

Adderstorm's head pounded with pain and he grit his teeth to keep himself from crying out. StarClan was speaking to him, he didn't want to ruin anything by not hearing them over his own yowls. 

"Please help our clan! Justice must be served!" A third voice pleaded. This time it was unfamiliar. Adderstorm turned his head to look at the tom. Beneath the stars in his pelt, he could make out dusty brown fur.

"Yes, Dustblaze. Badgerfur has a new litter of kits to take care of, I will not stand idly by while this madness ensues. Someone has to do something about it."  A fourth voice coming from Thrushspirit said. 

"Remember, Adderstorm, even the most loyal of cats can stray from the Warrior Code," Palespeck whispered in a bitter hiss into his ear. With that, the StarClan cats faded away, as did the darkness around him. 

He opened his eyes to find himself stretched along the grass. His breathing came in rapid inhales and exhales. Silveroak stood over him, her blue eyes wide in worry, "Adderstorm, can you hear me?" 

Adderstorm groaned in response and shakily managed to sit up, "I'm fine. Just felt a little dizzy." He hated lying to the medicine cat, but something in him didn't feel like he should be telling Silveroak about his warnings anymore. They only seem to cause a rift between her and Heronstar.

"What's wrong with him, Momma?" Doekit mewled to Badgerfur. The black-and-white queen simply shushed the pale ginger she-kit and guided her back into the nursery. "Let Silveroak do her work, I'm sure Adderstorm is just hungry is all," she said.