Chapter 21

"Newtfire! Breezeshine! Fogpelt!" The ShadowClan members chanted the new warrior's names into the sky. Thistlejaw glanced over at Leopardwhisper, the black spotted tom was surprisingly purring with delight. Their father Aspenshade had a proud expression glinting in his amber eyes. This was probably a happy moment for his brother, he had just received Aspenshade's approval. However, for Thistlejaw it was another ugly reminder of how little he meant to his own father.

Newtfire would've been my apprentice if I hadn't freaked out when Mintstar originally chose me as his mentor. Thistlejaw's thoughts hissed at him. At the time, he didn't want to deal with the responsibility of it. But one day I will, for now, I'm going to focus on myself. 

Thistlejaw rose to his paws, padding to the fresh-kill pile. ShadowClan was thriving despite it still being Leafbare, though there were no apprentices to train or queens in the nursery. 

Well, one of us has a pregnant mate.  Thistlejaw thought bitterly, glancing over at Leopardwhisper. He noticed his brother didn't leave camp as often as he had been. It made him wonder if Leopardwhisper was no longer visiting Pandora. Somehow I think even if Pandora was a Clan cat he'd treat her just as he does now.

He still couldn't believe how cruel his brother had acted towards the she-cat. 

Ebonyfern sat next to him, her amber eyes glowing with pride and a hint of something else Thistlejaw couldn't quite place. "Well, I trained up my first apprentice and nothing too bad happened...other than her nearly smacking her head against trees when she chased after prey a few times." The gray tabby she-cat purred in amusement and nudged Thistlejaw's shoulder playfully. 

"We haven't spent much time together since I've been a mentor, is everything alright? Still having nightmares?" 

The blue-gray tom prodded his paw against a mouse he scooped up from the fresh-kill pile, "Yes I am, though admittedly not as many as usual." Which was surprising considering all the stress he'd been under lately. First having a secret meet-up with Adderstorm, and then immediately finding out his brother had a kittypet for a mate and she was carrying his kits. 

Ebonyfern's tail curled around her paws as she leaned down to take a bite from a squirrel, "Mm, I was wondering if you'd like to join me and Leopardwhisper on a border patrol after we eat?" 

Thistlejaw blinked mid-chew on a morsel of the mouse, "Since when do you voluntarily go on patrols with my brother?" His tone was sharper than he anticipated, and he hoped that Ebonyfern wouldn't be too bothered by it. 

"Since...we both trained our apprentices together? Are you two still having a kin spat? Grow up Thistlejaw, you're both warriors now." Ebonyfern lashed the tip of her tail and continued feasting on the squirrel. 

Thistlejaw felt his paws itch with frustration, "How can we be having a kin spat if we don't ever talk to one another.." he muttered under his breath, mostly talking to himself than to the dark tabby she-cat. 

Ebonyfern's amber eyes narrowed and her ears pinned back in disappointment,  "Fine then, forget I ever asked." The she-cat stormed off to join Leopardwhisper at the camp entrance. The black tom peered back at Thistlejaw and shook his head as Ebonyfern spoke to him.  The two warriors wandered out of camp, their flanks practically touching.

Thistlejaw felt his muscles tense with anger at the sight. Why is he walking so close to her? Don't tell me Leopardwhisper has decided to get another mate! Then again, it would explain the she-cat's sudden fascination towards his brother. Thistlejaw found himself feeling even more empathetic towards Pandora in that moment.

He stood up after finishing the rest of the mouse and walked to where Ottertail and Swiftflower were praising their three kits, now newly named warriors. A pang of jealousy filled Thistlejaw's chest as he watched the happy family.