Chapter 14

Adderstorm made sure that the blood was completely out of his fur before he took one pawstep into the camp. The morning sun reflected off of the white surface of the moor, causing the snow to sparkle like glittering jewels. However, the snow next to the camp entrance was stained with pinks and reds from the blood of the battle last night. 

Both Hollywish and Robinbriar avoided him after his outburst with Sunsong. They went back into the camp to sleep as soon as the first light of dawn approached over the horizon. 

Cats stared at him as he tiredly made his way to the warriors den. He was quickly stopped by Palespeck who didn't look like she'd forgiven him at all. Who could blame her? Attacking Sunsong like that was uncalled for, even if RiverClan had planned on attacking the camp directly. 

"Heronstar wishes to speak with you in his den, Adderstorm." 

The deputy's yellow gaze was sharp like claws. Adderstorm glanced down at his paws shamefully. He wanted to apologize, but nothing would make this right. Sunsong could be dead because of him for all he knew. 

He kept his head lowered when he walked into Heronstar's den and sat down, not saying a word. The pale gray tom approached him without hesitation, "Adderstorm, what you did last night went against the Warrior Code" 

"I know Heronstar. And there's nothing I can do to make up for that. I've already failed you as a warrior" Adderstorm timidly replied. He'd never been in a battle before, he had no idea that he could even feel that amount of rage. 

Heronstar's ears flicked in surprise, "You must understand, Adderstorm. Plenty of cats go through this. It was your first battle, and from what I hear you were protecting Hollywish. I do not think you're evil. However, you won't go unpunished and you need to learn how to control your emotions during a battle" 

Control my emotions. Can the feelings I had even be controlled? I felt like I couldn't stop.

"I'll do my best, I promise. But Heronstar, I also wanted to ask you something." Adderstorm didn't dare to lift his head up. If his mother did something horrible to WindClan, surely Heronstar would think even less of him then he did right now. 

"Did you know a she-cat by the name of Hawkeyes?" 

Heronstar's tail bristled slightly, but he remained calm and collected in front of Adderstorm, "Hawkeyes was exiled WindClan seasons ago for attempting to kill one of our warriors; which just so happened to be her former mate, Darksmoke."

Was he possibly my father? That would explain why I never saw him when I was a kit.

"Streamheart was his mate after Hawkeyes was exiled. Poor Streamheart was traumatized after finding his body in the creek." Heronstar continued, tilting his head slightly, "Why were you asking?" 

Adderstorm felt frozen in place when Heronstar asked him that question. Surely he'd understand that he wasn't like his mother, right? Though, if word of this got out to his Clanmates he doubted they would have the same thought. They were already wary of him for being a rogue and attacking Sunsong mercilessly.

"H-Hawkeyes was my mother. B-but I swear I never knew she did this until now, Heronstar!" he stuttered. His heart pounded in his chest with fear of what the WindClan leader would say. 

You mouse-brain! You should have just kept it to yourself! You're risking getting thrown out of the Clan--

To his disbelief, the gray leader's blue eyes shined in awe, "So you're one of her kits. Thank StarClan you survived!" 

"W-wait...you're not angry?" Adderstorm blinked in confusion, "I'm the kit of a cat who betrayed your Clan" 

Heronstar purred in amusement and gave the top of Adderstorm's head a small, comforting lick.