4/Believe In Me/

4/Believe In Me/

"I don't wanna be afraid, I wanna wake up feeling beautiful..today"

 + + + +

"Have you been in a recording studio before?" Demi asked me.

I shook my head no. I still couldn't believe I was doing this. I hated the center spotlight. What if people started to stalk me after this? What if they started to judge me and tell me things that I didn't want to hear? But I was scared. I was scared to say no, especially to Demi since she seemed so excited about this. I didn't want to let her down.

"Well then, I guess we'll have to show you around," Demi responded, pointing to her recording crew behind her.

They took me inside the doors.

"Here we have the panel. That's where Rick will help us tweak our voices if need be. Don't worry, they won't be auto tuned because I don't believe in that but it will just be enough only to help improve the sound," Demi explained, pointed to who Rick was. He waved at me, smiling and I returned it, smiling.

"In there is where we sit and sing," Demi pointed to the little booth and continued to explain "There are already two seats for us in there."

She guided me inside and locked the door behind her.

"The only way they'll be able to hear you out there," she pointed to her crew behind the glass window "is if you talk through the microphone and you have to keep your headphones on if you want to hear them."

We both sat down on the stools and placed our headphones on.

"Okay the first thing we need is song selection," Rick stated.

"What kind of song would you like to do?" Demi turned to me.

"It doesn't really matter," I shrugged.

"It has to because you're going to need to put a lot of emotion into it. That's how music works," Demi clarified.

I shuddered at the word emotion. I always hated that word because I was horrible at expressing my emotions. They were either all over the place or I was scared if an emotion came that it would control every part of me, so I just didn't express them appropriately.

"I guess..." I stuttered "I guess your song, Believe In Me, means a lot to me."

"Okay, well then let's get to it," she agreed, smiling.

+ + + +

"Everyone’s perfect in unusual ways you see cuz now I believe in me..." Demi and I harmonized at the end of the song.

"That was amazing!" Rick applauded, leaning back in his spinning chair.

Demi smiled at me and then asked, "How come you never wanted to sing like this before? Because you're amazing!"

"I don't know, I guess I was just scared to feel that spotlight around me," I mumbled and felt myself blushing slightly.

To tell you the truth, once we started working on the song today, I felt a whole new side of me, a side I have never seen before. I was able to express my emotions without being afraid, just like dancing but in a whole new way that I never realized before. I was able to express my thoughts so much more differently. Dancing will always be my home but I think singing may be up there now. And singing even made me feel special, like I mattered, like my voice could be heard. I finally realized that maybe the spotlight wasn't all too bad. I've always wanted to help people and maybe through music and dancing I could do that. I was definitely ready to perform this song with Demi on stage.