The New Neighbor

Ding!

The 9th period bell rang, signaling that school was over.

"Don't forget everyone, those essays are due next Friday! A week from today!" Mr. Johnson, my AP English Literature teacher, said as we all got up from our seats.

I put my binder and pencils in my brown tote bag, then I picked it up, slinging it over my shoulder.

I walked out of the classroom and down the dirty granite stairs to the first floor, where my locker was.

I dialed my combination and opened it, getting all of the books I needed to bring home this weekend and putting them in my bag.

"Carly!" A familiar voice said my name. I turned and saw my best friend, Hannah, coming towards me.

"Hey, Han." I said, shutting my locker and turning towards her.

"Ugh, Ms. Peters is such a bore! I hate having calculus last period!" She complained as we started to walk.

I laughed.

"I totally get that. Johnson for AP English Language sucks. I already have an essay to do!"

Hannah rolled her eyes.

"Well of course you do, you're in like, all the AP classes. That's what happens when you're smart." She said.

"Whatever." I said with a slight smile on my face, pushing open the glass double doors that led to the senior parking lot.

Hannah and I were seniors at Roseville Prep, a private school located in a small town about 10 minutes from Philadelphia.

Despite us being best friends, we were actually quite different. She was the social, fun, outgoing girl who went to parties and events and got drunk and smoked and hooked up with different guys and had a good time. She didn't study for tests, she did homework the period before it was due, and talked back to teachers. I was the complete opposite.

I spent all of my time studying. I had very good grades, I maintained my high average because all I did was study and do homework. I was in tons of extracurricular activities, like 4 after school clubs, 3 honor societies, and played varsity lacrosse. I was every teacher's favorite (I'm really not trying to brag, it's the truth), and I was what people would call "the innocent one". I didn't party, or drink, or smoke, or curse, or get involved with boys. I haven't even kissed someone before. Embarrassing, I know. But that's what happens when you devote your life to work.

My family played a big part in my life, to say the least. My parents came from wealthy backgrounds. My father was a famous lawyer who took part in many well known court cases, and my mother was a wedding dress designer who worked with Vera Wang. My older sister, Rebecca, was in her second year at Princeton, where she was studying to be a neurosurgeon. My parents weren't always home, but when they were, they were on always on top of me. They both had very high expectations of me, and I tried my absolute hardest to keep those expectations.

I found my car, a silver BMW, and unlocked it. My parents said if I kept my grades up, I could get a car for my 17th birthday, so that's what happened. Hannah doesn't have a car yet, so I drove her to and from school, and the rare occasions where we went out to eat.

"So." Hannah said, getting into the passenger side and buckling her seatbelt.

"So?" I copied her as I started my car and pulled out of the parking lot.

"There's a party tonight."

"Oh?" I questioned.

"Yup. It's at some kid who just moved here's place. I think his name is Zach."