The Day After

Daniel's POV:

I sat at the kitchen table alone the morning after Zach's, yet again, wild party, a cup of coffee in front of me. I had stayed up until almost 4am cleaning everything up so my stepmom or dad didn't come home and see the mess.

Zach didn't help, of course.

I couldn't believe my idiot stepbrother made Carly take a shot last night. She hated drinking and she was extremely against it, and now this probably made her feel horrible. I mentally reminded myself to go over there sometime today and apologize on behalf of Zach's actions.

Speaking of the devil, he came staggering into the kitchen now, with no shirt on and his hair messy. His eyes were bloodshot, and I wasn't sure if it was from all the drugs he was on or from lack of sleep.

"Morning." I said calmly.

He grunted as he walked towards the cabinet and pulled out the box of Frosted Flakes.

"How's that hangover treating you?" I asked.

He poured the cereal into a bowl and added milk, not answering me.

"Did you enjoy watching Carly take that shot?" I asked now, taking a sip of my coffee.

He finally looked at me now.

"What are you talking about, Daniel?" He asked, his voice raspier than usual.

"When you made Carly take a shot in order for you to turn the music down? Did you enjoy watching her do that?" I asked again, trying to make myself more clear.

Zach rolled his eyes, eating a spoonful of cereal.

"It was one shot. She'll get over it." He answered, not bothering to close his mouth while he chewed.

"She's against drinking." I said.

"Does it look like I care?" Zach replied.

I sighed.

"Why can't you just turn your music lower, Zach? The neighbors don't like it, and it's too loud when everyone is trying to sleep." I tried. I didn't dare tell him to stop having these parties, because he'd get angry and tell me they were for "business".

He glared at me.

"The neighbors are gonna keep quiet now, and no more cops are gonna be coming around here. People in this town really will do anything if money's involved, huh?" He said, smirking.

"You can't just throw money around like that."

"I can do whatever I want. I earn that money fair and square." He took another bite of cereal.

"Are we done here?"

I nodded.

"Yeah."

He smiled, but it didn't look friendly.

"Great."

And I watched him as he took his cereal bowl, walked out of the kitchen and went back upstairs.

*

Carly's POV:

I pulled into my driveway after having just dropped Hannah off at home. I turned off the engine and unbuckled my seatbelt, sitting in silence for a moment.

I glanced at Zach's house, remembering last night. The feeling of the tequila burning my throat and the bitter taste of it staining my tongue still remained, no matter how times I rinsed my mouth out. Despite me having to do that, it was totally worth it because I couldn't even hear the music from my house anymore, and I ended up getting the best sleep I'd ever gotten in weeks. Maybe Zach would get the hint and not play his music as loud.

Even though the noise was reduced, I still felt like...I sinned or something. I know that if my parents found out, they'd kill me.

Just then, someone knocked on my car window.

I jumped and found my dad leaning down, looking at me through the glass.

I sighed and he stepped back to allow me to open the door.

"Hi, Carls!" He said.

"Hi, Dad."

"Are you alright? Why were you just sitting in your car like that?"

"I'm fine." I replied, ignoring his other question. "How was your trip?"

"Strictly business, as usual."

"As usual!" I mimicked as I took his duffel bag for him.

He smiled at me.

"Thanks, honey. Now, I'm thinking we should go out to dinner tonight, just me and you. What do you say?"

I nodded, copying his smile.

"Yeah, Dad. Sounds great."

*
"Wow! I'm stuffed!" My dad exclaimed as he unlocked the front door later that night.

"Me too." I agreed, following him inside.

We'd eaten at my dad's favorite Italian restaurant in town to welcome him back home.

We weren't even in the door for more than 2 minutes when the doorbell rang.

I looked at my dad, who was already taking out his phone to make business calls.

"I got it." I said, heading towards the door.

When I opened it, Daniel stood there. His hands were shoved awkwardly into his pockets and he was bouncing on the balls of his feet. He looked up when I opened the door and he stopped moving.

"Hey, Daniel. What's up?" I asked.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry about last night. It was wrong of Zach to make you do that. So I'm apologizing for him." He said.

I glanced behind me to make sure my dad wasn't listening, then I turned back to Daniel.

"It's okay, really. It's in the past now." I said, trying to comfort him, considering how apologetic he looked.

"Are you sure? I just feel really bad, and-"

"Daniel. It's fine. Don't worry about it." I said, laughing a little.

He grinned bashfully, staring down at his shoes.

"Alright, alright. As long as you say so." He replied.

I smiled.

"Well, goodnight." He said, turning around and going down the steps. He turned around once he was halfway down my driveway and waved.

I waved back, then I went inside, shaking my head.

"Who was that?" My dad asked now, stepping into the foyer again.

"Oh, uh...one of the boys who moved in next door. Daniel Seavey" I stuttered, nervous that he might've overheard our conversation.

He nodded, eyeing me with a look that only meant one thing.

"He's just a friend, Dad." I said truthfully.

He nodded again.

"Alright. I wouldn't want you getting distracted by some boy or by romance. Your studies and college are the most important things right now. You know that, right Carly?" He asked.

I sighed quietly so he wouldn't hear me.

"Yes, Dad."

a/n: hey everyone! this chapter is just another filler lmao SORRY! im so sorry about the wait, i've been caught up with a lot of other things and haven't had time to write:(  i promise this story is gonna get so so so good so stay tuned and keep reading! i love all of you guys and thank you so much for reading my work! xoxo