The Encounter

I woke up early the next morning to go for a run. It was hard, but I dragged myself out of my warm bed and put on some tight black warm up pants, a light pink tank top, and my favorite black and white Nike sneakers.

I headed downstairs, and found that the house was empty, as usual. My dad was still at his court case and my mother must've set out early.

I walked outside into the brisk yet somewhat warm early morning air. I smiled. I loved this time of day, when the sun was just poking out from between the trees and casted a bright glow over everything, when the birds were waking up and starting to fill the air with their songs, and when everything was quiet.

I turned on some music and put in my headphones, then I began to jog down my driveway and started my usual 2 mile run.

Running was something I really enjoyed, because it relaxed me and took me away from the hardships of the real world, at least for a little while.

I fell into a relaxed pattern as I jogged at my own pace down the street, and I focused on my breathing and the good song that was playing on shuffle right now.

I ran 2 miles around the suburban neighborhood, then slowly jogged back towards my house.

As I neared my house, I bumped into someone, hitting me into the shoulder and making my headphones fall out of my ears. The impact almost made me fall onto the ground.

I rubbed my aching shoulder and glared at my collider. When I saw who it was, I gasped.

It was Zach.

"I'm sorry, gorgeous."

He was wearing gray joggers and a black T-shirt, and he wasn't wearing any shoes. His hair was slightly messy, and I had to admit that it was attractive.

I struggled to catch my breath as I moved away from him, his appearance and the collision making me unable to breathe.

"It's fine." I answered.

He opened his mailbox at the end of the driveway and took out a pile of mail, then turned back to look at me.

"So, I heard you're friends with my stepbrother?" He asked.

I nodded, feeling beads of sweat dripping on my forehead.

"Yeah, he's nice." I said, starting to walk away.

"Not so fast, Carly." Zach called after me.

I turned around, but I didn't stop walking.

"I really have to go. I have a project I have to work on." I lied.

"Fine, whatever." Zach answered with annoyance.

I turned back around and hurried towards my house,  knowing that Zach was staring after me.

                              *

"Morning!" Daniel announced happily, handing me a brown paper bag.

"What's this?" I asked curiously, opening up the bag and sniffing inside.

"Mmm, this smells so good!" I exclaimed.

"Well, since you always buy me coffee every morning, I went out to the bakery super early and bought you a blueberry muffin."

I grinned at him.

"Thank you so much, Daniel!" I said, grateful that I had such a good friend like him.

He grinned back at me, his cheeks slightly red.

"Anytime, Carly."

I started to drive down the street on the familiar route to Hannah's house, the radio on low and the slight hum of the car engine the only sounds that were heard.

"So." Daniel spoke up now.

"So?"

"How was your weekend?" He asked.

My heart skipped slightly, afraid that Daniel knew I talked to Zach.

I waved my hand absentmindedly.

"Oh you know, the usual. Homework, studying, the occasional TV watching."

Daniel nodded, and I glanced at him. 

It looked like he didn't believe me, so I sighed.

"Fine! I went into your house during the party on Friday." I admitted.

"Did you?" Daniel asked nonchalantly.

"Yes, I did."

"I know."

"How?"

"I saw you. I looked out of my room for a second and over the staircase and I saw you in the hallway." He said.

"Wow. I guess I was that noticeable, huh?" I said in shame.

"I mean, you were the only one not dressed like a slut." said Daniel, making me giggle.

"True."

"Did you talk to Zach?" He asked.

I nodded.

"About what?"

I sighed again.

"I asked him to turn his music lower." I mumbled. 

"Did you really?"

"Yeah, I did."

"Wow. Nobody's ever done that before. How did he take it?" He asked.

I shrugged, turning into the school. 

"I don't know, he just like, came super close to me and told me no, and then I ran away. He made me uncomfortable because he was so intimidating." I admitted. 

Once I pulled into a parking space and unlocked the door to get out, Daniel grabbed my arm before I could leave the car. 

I glanced at his arm, then back up to him. His face was completely serious, and his usual smiling, laughing, happy expression was gone.

"Daniel, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Can you promise me something?" 

"Of course."

"Stay away from Zach. He's toxic Carly, and the closer you get to him, the more poisoned you'll become. Trust me, I've seen it happen."

I looked at him for a moment. I wondered what he meant by Zach is toxic, but I really didn't want to know. I had a feeling that I'd be better off not knowing that information. 

I nodded.

"I promise. I promise I won't go near him again." 

Daniel smiled at me, relieving me as he let go of my arm.

"Thank you."

I grinned back. 

"No problem."

i know these past few chapters have just been fillers but i PROMISE it will get good soon! i have a lot of plans for this story:) love u all xoxo