STAND BY ME - chapter 03

I woke up at 5:30AM. This is routine for me.

I prepared myself for my mission today, grabbed some breakfast, and left the house to the Hokage's office.

Konoha was always beautiful during these early hours. I just don't understand why only so few people are awake this early.

I'm walking, looking up towards the sky, thinking deeply about what this mission may be. I turn my attention in front of me, looking forward, and I catch a glimpse of Itachi. I noticed a slight crimson glow, his sharingan was activated.

Sigh. I just don't want to complicate things. I thought to myself. He's the last person to bother with such a trivial matter.

I knew Itachi and Izumi both had something going on. That was for certain. I'm doing my part as a good friend, and backing off. Shake those feelings off for him. Even if it meant avoiding a good friend.

"Hey, Itachi." I said, monotonously, inching closer towards him.

I couldn't help but feel as if there was a wall between the two of us. Some kind of distance pushing us both away from each other. Both of us trying to climb over it.

"Aya." He said, his gaze fierce as ever.
Just as I remember, when we were kids. I recalled his words, some things never change, huh. "Heading to the Hokage's office?" He asked.

"I am," I started walking, he tagged along. "I have a mission today. I may not be back for a while..." my mind wondered off. I looked up to him, his set of eyes fixed onto me. I noticed, very quickly, a flash of disappointment cross his face. Rare for someone like him to display any kind of emotion.

Huh? What's that about?
"Be careful out there." Itachi spoke, coldly, hands in his pockets, walking.

"I'll be fine," I glanced towards him, "Seems like Izumi is keeping you busy, though." I said, smiling, almost feeling hopeless.

I heard Itachi's footsteps cease. I look back to him. "Don't tell me you've succumbed to the village's notorious rumour spreading?" He asked, I could tell he was holding back a smirk.

"... Of course. Prodigies always have it tough." I said, chuckling, rubbing the back of my neck.

Hold up, what?? Nothing is going on?

What does this mean for me?

"You, especially, should know that by now." He responded, his expression hardening. His emotionless, stoic persona intimidated me.

His sharingan glare engulfed me beyond words of description. Something about them felt like they were peering right into your soul. Taking control of you. Ironically, this is what the byakugan is known for doing.

I waved my hands apologetically. "Don't take it the wrong way," I said, feeling slightly embarrassed. A slight smirk came through to his face.

We resumed walking towards the Hokage's office.

"Any idea how long this mission will take you?" Itachi asked, strangely, curiously.

"I'm not sure... I'm going off to pick up some details, then I'm immediately heading out," The atmosphere shifted, becoming serious, I looked up to him "I'm thinking months." I muttered the last part out.

I heard him sigh. It almost sounded as if he was becoming impatient, which was unlike him.
...What's going on?

"Definitely can't be longer than your last mission." He commented, briskly.

"Well.. we'll see, Itachi." I retorted. "Why so impatient?" I asked. Silence ensued.

That's when it hit me. Shisui's wedding.
My expression paled. "Itachi, on my word. I'll be back as soon as I can. I won't miss it for the life of me! Shisui is my friend."

"Don't let it distract you from doing your work. Keep your judgement sharp." He said. With that, we departed ways.

I approached Hokage-sama's headquarters, and waved to Itachi goodbye.

---- THE HOKAGE'S OFFICE ----

I kneeled down, bowing towards Tsunade.
"Hokage-sama, I'm here to pick up my mission's details."

"Ah, right on time. Aya, listen to me carefully," Tsunade said, her eyes became serious, "This mission is no joke. Do you remember Orochimaru?"

I nodded. This is gonna be tough.

"He's been lofting around the outside perimeters of Konoha. I need you to find him, and spy on him, and obtain The Scroll from him," She explained very briefly, "This is going to be a dangerous mission. There's no telling what he'll do. It may take you some time."

Part of myself went numb at the last part. I won't miss your wedding, Shisui.

I nodded. "I understand. Orochimaru is no joke..." My face clenched, "I'm determined to be successful."

She handed me papers detailing the mission more in depth.

Time to go.