STAND BY ME - chapter 12

It had been a couple of days since that night.
"I-Itachi..." I said nervously, my eyes peaking up towards him, fiddling with my fingers.
The Uchiha was calmly walking with his hands in his pockets. "Hmn, Aya?"

"The Hokage assigned me to keep a look out on the villiage, y'know... after the Orochimaru incident, Tsunade-sama doesn't want me leaving base for a while..."

"Ah," Itachi nodded, "That's a good call. Keeping you home so your clans-mates are safe."

"Mhm... u-uhm..." I nervously looked at him, his sharingan made me feel flustered, they were fierce and seemed as though they were full of hunger. I was trying to get at something else, but my words wouldn't budge through. Grow a pair, Aya!

"What I mean to say is, heh heh," I rubbed the back of my neck, "I'll be around a lot more often. Maybe we could see each other more..."

A wave of regret washed my soul as I heard Itachi stop his tracks, he turned his body towards me. I looked him right in the eyes, and saw a gentle smile form across his lips. I couldn't help but blush. Ever since that night, I felt magnetized towards Itachi. A warm feeling spread throughout my abdomen, and I couldn't shake this feeling of something deep in me that kept gnawing me towards him.

"I would love to, however, I have a mission."

I looked at him pouting, a disappointed look written all over my face, then dangled my face downwards slightly. Itachi seemed perplexed at my reaction. He placed a finger on my chin, and shifted my gaze towards his.

"Once I come back, It'll be just you and I," His gaze lingered onto my eyes, the Uchiha's smirk melted my heart, "I shouldn't be too long."

"Be safe, Itachi. I'll be here." I smiled at him back. Part of me wanted to come with him, to make sure he was safe, an extra set of eyes looking out for him. But I knew Itachi was an incredibly talented shinobi, with an unmatched level of thinking. I know he's capable.

"Take this with you, Itachi," I handed him a brown paper lunch bag, with his favourite snack inside of it, "Mission's can get tiresome. I know that dango's your favourite..." Itachi looked at me, chuckling. I peeped out of one eye, looking at him.

"You remember the smallest things," Itachi said, "Thank you."

"Uh-huh! Now get going. Good luck!" I waved goodbye to him, and continued walking throughout Konoha, helping out civilians if they needed anything.

---

It had been days since Itachi left for his mission.

"Father," I sat in front of my dad, who was not in the best of moods at the moment.

"Please, please, take a moment to understand what I'm trying to say!" I exclaimed.

"You are not quitting the anbu! That is an order." He said, sternly. If I weren't his daughter, his voice would have instilled fear in me. But past the title of the leader of the Hyuga, I knew my father beyond that.

"I don't feel like that line of work is for me," I began explaining, "I am sure there are more opportunities out there."

Mayumi, my mother, placed a hand on my father's shoulder, "Maybe we should listen to her. She's having a hard time."

"Father, I've been captain of my unit for three years. I've been in the anbu for seven. I think it's time to leave... and see what else is out there for me."

A moment of silence passed, as Hiashi glared at me, eyebrows furrowed, a firm expression on his face. Please, please understand, father.

"I'm only saying yes because you're my daughter, and I care about your well-being."