STAND BY ME - chapter 23

Two long, painful years had passed by since Itachi's absence. Two long years since that day.

"If we had just held hands for a little longer..." I held my legs tightly together to my chest, my back against my bedroom wall, "Maybe we wouldn't be this separated." 

"Have you heard of the saying, 'Distance makes the heart grow fonder?' " Kayumi said, laying down on my bed. 

"Yeah."
"This applies greatly to this situation." Kayumi scoffed.
"Hey..." I mumbled, defensively.
"What?" Kayumi arose, her elbows propped up on my bed for support, "Don't you think it's time to move on?"

"I don't think I can. It hurts so much, Kayumi." The picture frame of Itachi and I that I had stared at for the past few hours finally slipped out of my hand. At that moment, I wondered if Itachi would stare at the same picture from time to time, too. "People think I'm crazy for still believing in him."

"You can think of me as your sister, and sisters are honest with each other..." Kayumi looked up at the ceiling, "I think you're a bit insane for still believing in him, but hey, I believe he'll come back too."

"So I guess that makes you crazy too?" I asked.

"I guess so." She chuckled.
"Itachi is a gentle man, beyond what his exterior shows. I refuse to believe he's a traitor of any sort." I said, playing with the pendent across my neck.

"Has he sent  you any notes via hawks, crows at least?" Kayumi said.
I shook my head. "I was expecting that from him at the least, but no... nothing."

"Nothing at all?" Kayumi sighed. "He's a tough one to crack."

"I think so too, sometimes," I shut my eyes closed, "Kayumi, it's getting late. Maybe you should get back home?"

"Ah, I should. Don't get too wrapped up in your thoughts tonight, m'kay?" Kayumi smiled and I nodded.

---

Two  years since then, Tokuma and I would still meet up every day at 7AM to train.

"That was a good session." I handed him a rag, and I wiped the sweat and grime off my face.

"Agreed." He breathed out. "I feel like there's no point in sparring any more. You really are from the main family, you have enormous skill, as expected. After all, you were part of the Anbu, once upon a time."

"You're skilled too!" I pat his shoulder. "How's your family?"

"Good. Mother's sick, but that's what happens when you get old." He stated, rather bluntly. Almost robotic.

"Ah. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, Tokuma." I smiled.

---

"Ehhh... Itachi..." I eyed the slithering snakes beneath the bushes. Both of us decided to embark on a hiking trail since we had a couple of days off. Our goal was to set-up a picnic at the peak.

"C'mon, hold onto me." Itachi said, stretching his hand out to me.
"Okay!" I eagerly held onto his hand, "We're almost there, to the peak." I said, with my Byakugan activated.

Moments later, we had reached a serene location. Itachi had a knack for this kind of stuff - nature was one of his favourite things.

"We're here! Yosh! I'll start setting up the picnic." I said excitedly.

Itachi helped me spread the blanket across the vibrant green grass. I looked up ahead to see a view of the waterfall. 
"Wow." I stood there motionless.
"I know." Itachi smiled, as if he already knew I'd react this way. We unpacked the bottled beverages from the basket, along with some dango and my signature home-made sandwiches that Itachi loved. 

"It's finally just the two of us." Itachi sat down on the blanket, admiring the waterfall. Our eyes met, a loving gaze ensued between us, "This is what I dream of. Just us two." Itachi said, pecking an innocent kiss on my lips.

"Me too, Itachi. Away from it all. Just us two."
He wrapped an arm around me, his head rested on mine, our breathing  was now slow and peaceful. All our worries were lost upon looking at the stream of water flowing down. 

My heart began racing. I fizzed awake, gasping for air, my arms were shaking, rubbing my eyes. I looked around my room, and then down to my hands. I was only dreaming, flashbacks to the time we spent together. This whole entire time. It felt like an eternity, but I definitely knocked out not more than just a couple of hours. I wish I had just remained asleep. How calm everything was. But I knew it was nothing more than just an illusion - just an image of what I really wanted in this life. But the reality was, after Itachi was gone, I was left all alone. I sat upright, shifting my body towards the corner of the bed. 

"Forgotten memories and broken dreams..." I muttered, my head dangled downwards, eyeing my feet. "Where are you, Itachi? Where are you?" I hopelessly muttered out loud, hoping that he would somehow magically respond to my cries. It was pathetic, but it was all I could do. 

I missed how the hair on my skin would stand up every time his skin grazed mine, the way my eyes would perk up every time my name rolled off his tongue, how delicate and gentle his kisses were with me, the way he held me close to him whenever he'd embrace me - when I was in his arms, I knew he'd protect me with all his might, even though I was capable of fending for myself. I love this man, I thought to myself, but did he really feel the same, all along?

I sat down on my windowsill, unable to go back to sleep now from my storm of thoughts.

"I'm sure the last thing Itachi would want is for me to sulk over his absence," I talked to myself, as a tear to began to flow down my cheek, "Happy birthday, Itachi. I love you always."