STAND BY ME - chapter 17

5:00 AM. My alarm was ringing. I immediately woke up, crossing the date off of my calendar, excitedly. Itachi's birthday is today. I felt giddy all the sudden.

I proceeded to the washroom, did my business, and fixed myself. I combed my long locks, straightening my hair just a bit. I made sure Itachi was free all day today, even slipping a word to the Hokage so as to not bother the Uchiha with any sudden missions.

I grabbed Itachi's prepared presents, the gift bags stood against the wall in my room beside my door. But before I proceeded to his house, I had to drop Hanabi off to the academy.

I knocked on her door.
"Hanabi, I'm downstairs whenever you're ready."
"Okay!" I heard her stumble throughout her room, and I smiled, "I'll be there in a second!"

---

Hanabi was holding onto my hand, looking up towards me, her innocent eyes widened.

"Ayaaaa..." She whined, tugging my hand, "I wanna say happy birthday to Itachi."
"You will, lil' monkey, as soon as you finish from the academy."
"Promise me?"
"I promise you." I smiled. "Focus in school, okay?" I bent down a little, ruffling her hair, her cheeky little smile coming through.

---

I made my way throughout the Uchiha district, approaching Itachi's house.

I rang the doorbell once, my hands hid behind my back, holding onto his gifts.
The door opened, and it was none other than Itachi, his bangs hung perfectly, framing the sides of his face. I could tell he just woke up.

"Aya." He spoke, half-smiling.
"Itachi," I smiled, "Happy birthday." I tipped toed and planted a kiss on his forehead. His hand rested on my waist, pulling me in closer.

"I told you not to worry about it..." Itachi couldn't resist a smile.
"Don't you worry. Get ready. I wanna take you somewhere." I said.
He gestured for me to come inside.
"Give me a second." He pecked a kiss on my cheek, and I blushed lightly.

I stood there waiting for what seemed like a couple of moments, looking at the framed family pictures on the wall. I smiled, because even in the photos, I could tell how much love he shared for his family, and especially for Sasuke.

"Okay, I'm ready," Itachi appeared, I looked up at him, "What do you have in mind?" He asked.

"I want to go to that blossom forest, you took me there once..."
"Ah. I would love to." He smiled, I could tell he recalled that night's particular event.

We both left the house, walking side by side rather quietly, admiring how the sun was slowly rising in the morning.

---

We sat on a bench present in the forest of blossoms.

"Itachi," I perked my eyes to his, "Your gifts." I handed him the gift bags.

"Aya..." He looked back and forth, towards me and the bags, "You're all I need. You didn't have to."

"I said don't worry!" I looped my arm into the crook of his arm, "Open that bag." I pointed towards it, one eye open, eagerly. It was the bag with the pictures.