STAND BY ME - chapter 06

"Itachi... thank you for helping out your mother while you can," Mikoto said, digging out soil and planting some seeds into their garden at home, "My back is killing me!"

"I like to do what I can," Itachi smiled, "I hate not being around too much." Itachi helped his mother with whatever she needed.

"So Itachi... how's Aya?" Mikoto asked, curiously.

"Mother..."

"I know, I know! It's none of my business, but I just can't help it. I'm always bumping into her, and I know you two are close," Mikoto said, eagerly, "Plus, you're getting old... maybe it's time you consider-"

"We are not having this conversation right now." Itachi quickly responded, looking at his mother.

"What? I'm just saying! All your friends seem to be getting married..."

"It's just Shisui. Besides, Aya's an extremely busy person. She's an heir, just incase you've forgotten."

Mikoto pecked his nose with her finger, "Look at you! All flustered up," she said smiling, "Don't forget that you're an heir too."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Mikoto looked up to the sky, dreamily, "Wouldn't it be great if the two leaders of the village's most prosperous clans got together?"

Itachi lightly chuckled, "When you put it in that way, it sounds straight out of a fairytale."

Mikoto heaved out a sigh, "I guess it does, and maybe I am just dreaming. But I want you to know that I want the best for you," Mikoto glared at Itachi seriously, "I won't tolerate anything less."

Itachi stared at his mom for a bit and let her words sink in.
"Of course."

--- KRUBERA CAVE ---

It had been four days since Kabuto showed me around this hideout. It had been seven days since I've been held captive, each second spent praying for someone to find me.

Orochimaru had completely disabled my body, all my tenketsu repressed, ironically. I could fortunately, still use my Byakugan. And my taijutsu.

Orochimaru quickly developed a rigorous schedule for me - he injected me with needles every two hours and drew blood from me every four hours. My arms felt sore and bruised from all the poking and prodding, but I made sure to keep my arms moving around so that my blood could keep circulating.

God knows what he's up to.

Orochimaru's assistant, Kabuto, would offer me lunch that looked like death, but supposedly provided the body "all the nutrients and minerals" that it needs to survive. I could have sworn I lost five pounds by now.

But hey, at least I'll look great for Shisui's wedding.
Crap. I need to find a dress!

I sighed. I entertained the thought of Itachi asking me to be his date briefly, but I quickly shook the thought aside out of shyness. That would be so amazing.

--- KONOHA ---

"Shizune," Tsunade looked at her right-hand assistant and friend, puzzled, "I sent Aya Hyuga a note a couple of days back and she still hasn't responded." Tsunade said, rubbing her chin.

"Do you think she's in trouble?" Shizune asked.
"She rarely ever is."
"Doesn't mean it can't happen," Shizune said, petting her pet pig, "It can happen to anyone. Especially with Orochimaru..."

"I knew I shouldn't have sent her alone," Tsunade exclaimed, a harshness in her tone, "That damn bastard. I can't risk the Hyuga becoming angry at me."