STAND BY ME - chapter 18

"You know, when Itachi first told me about you, you seemed totally cool," I said smirking, crossing my arms, "Now I realize you're just a dork!"

"Hey! With Mr. Serious over there, someone needs to keep things interesting." Shisui said, pointing his thumb towards Itachi, who was laying down on the grass admiring the sky. Shisui slung an arm around my neck, ruffling my hair. I puffed.

"Do you always gotta mess my hair up like that?" I ran my fingers through my hair and tied it up into a ponytail, giggling.
"I have to ask, where's Kayumi been lately? I don't see her much anymore." I inquired, curiously.

"Hokage-sama's been piling my poor wife up with missions, back-to-back." Shisui's hands rested on his hips, "And I heard you quit Anbu."

"Yeah, I realized that line of work is just not for me." I sunk to the ground, my chin resting against my knees.
"That's good you've come to realize that now, better sooner than later." Shisui sat down, crossed legged.
"Uh-huh." I said, my gaze wandered off to Itachi, who seemed so at peace, but I could tell something was clouding his mind.

"Itachi," I said, his eyes met mine, "What have you been thinking about?"

"It's... nothing." He responded.
"Something's bothering you, I can tell." I retorted.

Shisui sorrowfully stared at Aya.

I knew something was up.

"Well, I'm waiting for an explanation. What is it?" My eyes narrowed, crossing my arms.
Itachi remained silent, but Shisui was quick to break the silence.

"Just some clan troubles. No need to get you involved." Shisui said.
"Your affairs become mine. The Uchiha and the Hyuga fight in arms. I can maybe help..." I said with hope, and faith, that issues can work out within time. I knew all too well about the trouble clan issues brought up. Nothing was more stressful.

"Now you're just being naive," Shisui closed his eyes, crossing his arms. "But that would be nice."

"Maybe, but with time - " Leaning in anxiously, as I began to explain myself.

"Yare, yare," Shisui said, waving his hand dismissively in the air, "I said there's no need to get you involved."

"Shisui's right, Aya." Itachi spoke, and I quickly snapped Itachi a pout-glare.
"Fineeeeee..." I mumbled.

---

"Why don't you come over for dinner?" Itachi said, as both of us began approaching his house. I guess it was finally time. I looked up to him and nodded.

"Sure. I wouldn't mind that."
"Good. My mother likes you." Itachi smiled.
"And you're father?" I asked.
"I'm sure he does too. Give it some time."
I sighed. I wanted Fugaku's approval, for some odd reason.

"You already know what my parents think of you," I nudged his elbow, "They think you're perfect. The Uchiha prodigy."
"I don't deserve such flattery, especially coming from your parents," The hard-working Uchiha smiled humbly. "I'm honoured they think so."
"You're too tough on yourself, Itachi..." I held his hand.
We stood in front of his house, Itachi turning to me.
"Ready?"
I nodded excitedly. Itachi opened the door.

"Okaeri!" I heard Mikoto's voice echo. I could already smell the food. It made my stomach grumble a little.
"Mom, we have a guest." Itachi said, taking his shoes off.
"A guest?" She said, her footsteps shuffling.

"Aya!" Mikoto exclaimed, her eyes were bright.
"Mikoto-san, it's nice to see you." I bowed.
"Fugaku-san." I said, as I saw Fugaku appear right behind her. I bowed towards him, and he nodded back - something unexpected to me.

"C'mon, dinner's just about ready. Everything's set up." Mikoto cheered, as she wiped her hands on her apron.

I glanced at Itachi as he led the way.

"Ah. The food looks amazing, Mikoto-san." My eyes scanned the food, and I wanted nothing more but to eat plate after plate. But of course, with Fugaku sitting across from me, I had to exhibit some decency.

---

"Alright," Mikoto said, gathering the plates, "You guys look just about done."
My stomach was beyond full. 

"Thank you, Mikoto-san. The food was fantastic!"
"Anytime," she smiled, as she struggled, balancing all the plates and cups.
"I'll help you out, cleaning the dishes." I said.
"Ah. No, you don't have to!
"Nonsense! You cook, I clean." I grinned.
"Sounds like a deal."

I rolled my sleeves up, and began to scrub the pile of dishes, as Itachi helped tidy up the kitchen.

"Your mom's an amazing cook." I said to him.
"I know, her food is something else."
"You take after her," I smiled, "Your cooking skills."
"I never thought of it like that before." Itachi said.

---

"Soooo... what do you think of her?" Mikoto said, sliding the door closed, being careful so as to not be so loud.

Fugaku sat down cross legged, filling out some paperwork regarding the police force.
"She's a good fit for Itachi. A talented shinobi."
"I think so too. Maybe she'd make a wonderful wife too." Mikoto smirked.
Fugaku's eyes immediately met his wife's.
"Oi." He said, Fugaku's eyes sharp.
"What?" Hands on her hips, smiling, "You know it's true."
Fugaku closed his eyes, and sighed.

---

It was late now, and I was still at the Uchiha's house.
The sun had set, and the moonlight was about.

Our legs were dangling off the deck near the entrance of the house.
Itachi and I sat beside each other rather silently. Something was eating away at his mind.

"Itachi, I hope these clan issues aren't keeping you up too late at night..." I said, noticing how his face just seemed like it yearned for sleep. He genuinely looked tired. It pained me.
"Don't worry about me." He said, looking up at the stars.

There it was. Yep. I couldn't help but get frustrated, my fists clenched onto my pants.
"How can I not get worried?" I looked at him, I was mad, "You can't just keep pushing me away, Itachi. I'm here to help you, Kami's sake."

"I know." Itachi's eyes furrowed, his head dangled down. He seemed sad, a weight present on his shoulders. It was as if a cloud was hovering atop of him. It really did pain me to see him like this. This very man before me shouldered all of the troubles of his clan and his family dutifully.
"I - Itachi -" I was almost shocked to see him so down like this. I rubbed his back, an action I knew that soothed him.
"I can only imagine what they're making you put up with, but really..." My thoughts trailed off, "If there's anything I can do, you know who to come to. Me."

"Thank you for that." He said, as he rubbed his face out of frustration. Itachi then looked at me, his eyes peering into mine dolefully.

"Itachi, I know how hard it is..." I said, smiling, "You don't have to say anything. I understand how you're feeling. But know I'm always here for you. No matter what happens."

Moments of silence passed between us.
"Well, I think I should get going now." I pecked a gentle kiss on his lips, leaping onto the ground. "It's getting late. I'll see you tomorrow?"
Itachi nodded. "I've been such a downer today. My apologies."

"Don't say sorry. I'm here for it all, Itachi. The downs and the ups."