The Daughters Girlfriend

Her lips felt like heaven. When she held you it was like floating in a pool of stars. You always knew who you were, the clown princess, but until you saw her it was like knowing didn’t mean anything. As if you were just sauntering through life occupying an empty shell. All you wanted to do was hold her and touch her forever. 

It was the public first date, first public kiss, first time out as a lesbian couple. You both had been keeping the secret for weeks afraid of what the world and you parents would say and think. It started with her running her toes up your leg under the table at dinner, then holding hands in the park, then when you both went on the boardwalk above the harbor, her eyes just looked so beautiful with the moon reflecting off of them you had to kiss her. 

“Are you sure (y/n)? There are people all over the boardwalk with us.” she said scared

“If I don’t kiss you I think I might burst.” you said before gently pressing your lips against hers.” you both melted into each other. She wrapped her arms around your waist and you felt her finger tips drag smoothly across your cheek. It was pure bliss.

Until the heads started to turn and the whispers began. You both felt the tension released on the boardwalk and looked around. Mothers turned their children's heads away and grown men shook their heads at you. After all the strange things that happened in Gotham, an innocent kiss out of love really worried these people? She pulled away from you and started walking to the end of the boardwalk, you ran after her grabbing her arm.

“I knew this would happen” she said eyes glazing over. “People just can’t get out of their stupid little bubbles and open their minds.” she began to sob.

“Please baby, we can’t let them get to us now.” putting her hand in yours. A group of teenagers passed and began to giggle at the two of you.

“I just gotta get out of here, I’ll call you later.” she ran off and disappeared into the gotham night before you could stop her.

You didn’t want to admit how scared you were. You wanted to profess your love and hold her and have her on your arm. But the truth was you were terrified, the clown princess wasn’t supposed to be scared of anything. You wanted to rush home and tell your parents and they would kill everyone who gave you two a cross look, but your stomach sank lower when you thought of that. You didn’t want them to be punished, you just wanted them to accept you. You started your long walk home with each step making the pit in your stomach deeper.

The Joker sat on his bed waiting for a text or call from you. For weeks he had been worried and noticed the change in your attitude. It was like you were over the moon but depressed at the same time. The long talks you guys had after work had stopped, you hadn’t crawled into his bed to cuddle with him in what felt like centuries, and worst of all he couldn’t remember the last time you had given him a chance to look in your eyes. His back felt like it had one hundred pounds on it that he was carrying around. He knew something was wrong he just couldn’t figure out what.

“Puddin, have you heard anything?” Harley said entering the room. She twirled her pink tipped hair in between her fingers. She was just as worried as he was. It was killing her not knowing what was wrong with her baby. She felt like she was disappointing you by not helping, losing that motherly connection.

“No.” Joker mumbled back to his queen, his head was aching to bad to form sentences, he could barely look at his screen but he needed to be ready to answer you.

You walked up to your house and through the gate to the back yard. The thought of going inside and seeing your parents only made you feel worse. You wanted to tell them so badly that you were gay but it would kill you if they gave you rejection. The people of gotham were one thing, but if the two closest people to you turned you away, it would be too much. You walked over to the pool, the lights around it turned on when the moon reached the top of the sky. The still water made you jealous, it was the perfect opposite of what you felt inside. You closed your eyes and remembered how she tasted, her touch, her scent, you wanted her back with no judgement and no worries. Wanted to float in the stars again. When you peaked and saw the reflection of the sky in the water you knew you wanted to scream, so you jumped in and let it all out like a wild animal.

Why were people so cruel? Why were they so against love? Why did you have to hide and feel so ashamed? What is wrong with the world? the thoughts were racing through your head as you let out all the sorrow. Just as you were finishing you felt strong arms wrap around your waist and thrust you up the the surface. The water rushed up your nose and down into your throat, you violently coughed it up when you felt the cool wind on your face. Hands whipped away the drips from your eyes and you looked up and saw your father. The Joker was cradling you in the center of the pool.

“Princess what the hell are you doing?” he questioned with a bit of anger in his voice “You could have hurt yourself” he had had enough and something in him ignited. He had to know. “Just tell me what’s going on with you”

You looked up into his icy blue eyes and all the feelings came flooding out. You grabbed onto his chest and started to moan in pain as the tears fell. He swam you to the edge of the pool and lifted you onto the surface. You curled your knees up to your chin and wrapped your arms around your legs. The Joker sat beside you and kissed your forehead. Harley came running outside and wrapped a purple towel around you.

“Baby….” she said sitting on the opposite side so they would sandwich you in a hug.

“I love her!” you yelled out and they were taken a back. “I have a girlfriend and I love her and no one can accept us.” you raised your head and swung it back and forth looking for reactions from them. They gave each other and understanding glance before looking back t you. “I’m gay. Mommy, daddy I’m gay and I always have been and I love her I just. I love her and please don’t be mad I just I can’t help it. I don’t want to help it I want her and- you were rambling on when you felt your fathers fingers on your lips.

“Princess…. you had us worried out of our goddamn minds.” he began and he smirked a little “Why didn’t you just tell us that so we could stop going crazy trying to figure it out.”

“wh… what? Why are you smiling you’re not mad?” you asked

“Why the hell would I be mad for you embracing who you are? Princess I couldn’t be more proud that you’re living up to your title.” he said caressing your face.

“But… everyone tonight just stared at us and whispered and..”

“shhhhhh shhhh baby.” your mother chimed in “the people out there are scared of what they don’t understand. they’re jealous of people like our family because we do and be what we want and who we really are.” she looked over at your father. “you think if we listened to what people thought we’d be the king and queen of gotham?” she showed her teeth in a big grin at Joker before giving you a gentle smile and a kiss on the cheek.

The Joker took your face in both his hands and made you look up at him. “You’re the daughter of Harley Quinn and Joker. Never let any one outside here make you feel bad for anything. You’re safe with us. If they try and make you ashamed I’ll slice their throats and play their arteries like a violin huh?” he cackled and you threw yourself into him. He returned the hug and rested his green hair on top of your head.

“Now that that’s all solved, she has to come over for dinner!!” Harley started to squeal and clap her hands.

“Yeah I need to meet the girl who thinks she’s good enough for my princess, and scare the shit out of her!” Joker joined his queen in laughter and you buried your head in his chest relieved. Your heart started to beat normally again, you couldn’t wait to tell your girlfriend that there was a place of refugee for the two of you.