Secret Boyfriend

You walked into the living room in your pajamas and saw your parents sitting and jumped on the couch in between them. You snuggled in the nook of your fathers arm and rested your head on his chest. You had been planning this for weeks, if you were going to have the most time with your boyfriend your parents had to have no doubts. The Gotham news played and your parents laughed every time there was a murder, robbery, or batman sighting. Occasionally your father would point out one that he was responsible for. You looked at the clock 9:00pm way earlier than the usual time you went to bed so the plan had to be executed perfectly. You started to bat your lashes and yawn silently, after a few minutes you acted more animated, before pretending to fall asleep then jolting awake. You could feel your father noticing you squirm around so you closed your eyes and began to breath heavily.

“Hey.. princess.” the Joker whispered gently nudging you. “I know how amazing I am but you don’t have to force yourself to stay awake. You can go to bed if you want.”

You yawned and nodded your head “mmhmmm” you said quietly before pretending to fall asleep again.

“Or… I guess I’ll carry you to bed.” he rolled his eyes and laughed at you before picking you up in his arms. Harley kissed your forehead and he carried you to your room and laid you down in bed. “Sleep tight princess.” he stared at you for a moment before walking out the door. You kept your eyes closed until you heard his foot steps fade away.

Once the coast was clear you jumped up and ripped your pajamas off to reveal the outfit you had been hiding under them, a skin tight black dress you ‘borrowed’ from your mother. You slipped on your favorite gold heals and applied your makeup. You texted your boyfriend to meet you in 10 minutes and finished up your look.

You made sure the lights were off and pillows were tucked neatly under the blankets in case your parents peaked their head in to check on you before you headed for the window. Sneaking out was always a rush, your parents let you go out with friends and on missions with them but boys were out of the question. The only way you were able to get a boyfriend was to slip out of your bedroom and return before anyone woke up.

You made your way to the park and felt your heart start to beat faster and faster when you saw him. You ran to his arms and the two of you melted into each others kiss. Not only was it your first love but it was a forbidden love, nothing ever tasted so sweet.

The Joker tossed and turned in his bed, it was the nightmare that he only had every once in a while. The Batman was after you and Harley but he was paralyzed and couldn’t move in his dream. He thrashed around and was sweating bullets until his body jolted awake. He breathed heavily and grabbed Harleys leg to make sure she was still there.

“Puddin…” she said half awake “was it the dream again?” 

“No..” he lied to her not wanting to be psycho analyzed. “Just go back to sweet babe.” He climbed out of bed and left the room.

The dream hadn’t happened in months and it always made him feel so out of control. There was only one way to make himself feel better. Whenever the dream happened he would go into his daughters room and lay next to her. She gave him a sense of calm and he felt protective sleeping next to her.  He gently opened her door and peaked in. She was still and quiet, just the atmosphere he needed. He walked over as quietly as he could and laid down next to her. He didn’t want to touch her in case he woke her up, he just stared at the blanket over her head. He tried to fight off his feelings and sleep but his stomach was in knots. He just needed to see her sweet face as he closed his eyes, so he carefully pulled the blankets down to find her. Within minutes of realizing what was going on the pillows and blankets and mattress were thrown around the room.

You felt like you were flying as you walked to your bedroom window. The smile on your face was spread ear to ear and you traced the necklace around your neck that he had given you. You guys were only able to have a few hours but it was worth it to be together. You crawled into your room and skipped over to the light switched, when you turned around you almost hit the ceiling and shrieked.

The Joker was sitting on the bed frame eyes on you like a wild animal and arms crossed. You couldn’t bring yourself to move or speak. It was the first time you had ever been scared with your father.

“Do you have any idea what you’ve done.” His voice was deep and emotionless

“Da..daddy let me explain I..”

“DON”T SPEAK!” he yelled at you which made you shrivel up. “I’m not even going to try and explain what it feels like to walk into your room and find you missing. Frost and every single man on my pay roll is in the city looking for you. Do you know what it’s like to feel like your whole world is crashing down?” afraid to speak still you just nodded your head no. “Oh no no no you wouldn’t would you? Ya know I always thought that if anyone took you away from me I’d skin them alive. But what do I do when you run away from me?”

You had to say something to calm him down. “Daddy I didn’t run away from you I just was with som-” you stopped as you heard yourself mess up.

“You were with someone?” the Joker stood up and walked over to you. “What someone?” 

“….nobody.. he’s just a fri-”

“HIM?” he growled before his eyes widened when he saw the necklace on you. His breathing became deep and he forgot everything he was thinking when he saw it.

“I didn’t give that to you. Why are you wearing something I didn’t give to you?” his voice cracked as he tried to get the words out.

“Daddy I know you’re upset but I don’t want to lie to you. Yes I was with a boy. Yes he gave me a necklace. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t love you.”

“I had the dream tonight.” he said looking you dead in the eye. Your heart sank. You knew exactly what he was talking about and what it did to him. “I needed you. I needed to see your face and you left to be with him.” His face changed from jealousy to sadness. He never showed you this part of him so intensely. “What? Has he taken my place?” he put a sadistic grin on his face to hide his broken heart

“I..I’m so sorry. I didn’t know.” now you felt guilty. The rush you felt a few hours ago was now a weight on your shoulders. You went to hug him but he turned away from you and ran his fingers through his hair gripping the green strands. “Daddy I’m so sorry, you can ground me you can lock me in my room forever. I’ll do anything to make it up to you. No one could take your place.” The Joker’s mind was racing and his chest was burning. “Please believe me” you took the necklace off and dangled it in front of him. “See? It’s just a stupid necklace.” 

You threw it on the floor and wrapped your arms around your father. He was always there for you, you felt horrible missing your chance to be there for him. You wrapped your arms around him for a hug and felt the tension in his body. “Tell me about the dream again let me help.”

 The joker wanted to stay angry and tear the room apart and yell at you. But he couldn’t fight the touch he craved to calm him down. The dream still haunted his thoughts. He turned around and embraced you and let out a sigh of relief.

 “I was going crazy thinking you could be hurt ya looney tune.” 

 “I appreciate it ya crazy clown.” The two of you both felt calmer now that you could joke. 

 “I don’t want to talk about the dream. Your mother does all that psyche stuff for me. I just needed to hold you. To keep you safe.” He stroked your hair as you looked up at him. 

 “Keep me safe?” You inquired 

 “Oh yeah, that’s my job after all isn’t it? And not just from batman I learned tonight.” He grinned down at you and you could see he was back to his old self.

 “What do ya mean?”

 He looked down at the necklace and grinned wider. “So where’s that boy of yours?”