Chapter 9

As soon as they arrived at the Playground, Skye was rushed to surgery to get the bullet out before her connection with Maya was lost. Simmons was able to easily remove the bullet and restitch the wound before Skye had a chance to flatline.

Skye sat up in her hospital bed a few hours after the procedure was over. "Thanks, Simmons," she said, voice hoarse from being under for a little while.

Simmons smiled at her, "of course, Skye."

"How is everyone else?"

"Everyone else seems to be doing okay," Simmons nodded as she returned to her work at the computer on the desk next to Skye. "Though right now I feel as if I should be asking you how you're feeling."

Skye gave her a small smile, "I'm doing alright. The pain is finally here, but I know you've got me hooked up to pain meds. I made it out of there alive, so we have that at least. I just wish I could've saved Maya. She shouldn't have died, it wasn't fair. That should've been me."

"Skye, blaming yourself isn't going to help. Look at it this way, you still managed to save Lincoln."

"How is he doing?"

"He's a bit shaken up. We have him waiting in one of the bunks. He wanted to see you," Simmons explained. She paused, "As I was patching up Ward he said something about Trip being..." she couldn't finish her sentence.

Skye nodded as she bit her lip and squeezed her eyes shut.

Jemma hung her head and wiped away a tear that was threatening to spill from one of her eyes. "It'll be a lot quieter around here, that's for sure."

Skye tried mustering a smile before sniffing. "Where did you say Lincoln was?"

"He's in the bunk across the hall from yours. I told him that I would send you in once you were feeling better. How are you feeling?"

"Good enough to get up and walk," she stretched her legs. Simmons walked over to her and handed her a sling. Skye sighed and threw it on, maneuvering her arm into it. She hopped out of bed and grimaced at the cold tile on her bare feet.

She thanked Simmons before making her way back to the bunks. She knocked on the door to Lincoln's room. "It's Skye," she said, before opening the door. She gave him a small smile as she walked in to the small room and sat down in the chair by the bed. "Figured I would come in and see how you're doing."

"Better than you apparently," he smiled. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm not sure," she chuckled, "I'm having a lot of mixed emotions right now."

"I'd imagine."

"How about you? I can't imagine this has been easy."

He shook his head and ran a hand through his dirty-blond hair. "It's been kind of a rollercoaster. Do they have any idea what's happened to us?"

Skye had been so preoccupied with everything else going on around them that she had completely forgotten about what had happened in the temple. "I don't know. I can go ask Simmons. Do you want to come?"

He nodded and stood up from his bed, following her out the door and back towards the lab.

Skye bumped into Simmons on her way inside. "Skye! I was just coming to get you! I was going over the files from your surgery to add it to my log when I came across your blood sample. It's completely changed."

"We were actually just coming to talk to you about that," Skye said as Simmons ushered them inside.

"It's unlike anything I've ever seen. Your DNA didn't just arrange itself differently, it contains extra macromolecules."