Chapter 20

"If you're going to be sticking around," Trip said as he walked Katrina and Lincoln into the gym, "I figure you two could learn a few techniques to keep yourselves safe. We're gonna start with something easy." Trip walked to Katrina and put his hands on her shoulders, making her face Lincoln. He then nudged her elbows up until her fists were protecting her face. "Good, now Lincoln, you get into this position too."

Lincoln did as he was told and Trip corrected his stance.

"Now, Katrina, you're going to aim your punch here," he pointed to a spot on Lincoln's body. Katrina started to throw a punch and Trip spoke up. "Lincoln, you're going to catch her fist."

Lincoln caught the fist coming his way before it made contact with his face.

"Now you're going to twist her fist."

Lincoln twisted and Katrina stumbled forwards, her arm being held up behind her.

"Now you place your other hand by the base of her neck and push down. This makes your opponent immobile. Switch roles, we're going to do it again."

Lincoln released Katrina and he threw a punch this time. Katrina caught his fist midair and twisted, making him stumble forward. She placed her hand on the base of his neck and pushed, making his arm raise behind him and rendering him immobile.

"Very good," Trip smiled. "Now we're going to work on another one. Take your same stances," he commanded. "Make sure to keep your fists up at all times, it blocks your face so you don't have to deal with a nasty bruise on the jaw..." Trip paused before adding, "or a gunshot to the face, whatever." He shook his head. "Anyway, Katrina, you're going to aim a kick at his chest, if you're successful in planting the kick, he'll stumble backward. Lincoln, you're going to try and grab her foot before she's able to do that."

Katrina nodded and kicked forward, aiming for Lincoln's chest. He grabbed her ankle in both hands.

Trip nodded. "Very good. Now, twist her foot."

Lincoln did as he was told and twisted Katrina's foot, making her entire body rotate and fall to the floor.

"This causes the opponent to lose balance and fall to the ground. Switch roles."

This time, Lincoln aimed a kick at Katrina and she caught his foot. She twisted and Lincoln fell to the floor.

Trip grinned. "You two pick this stuff up fast. Awesome. Now we're just going to do a little bit of strength training. Five minutes on the punching bag for each of you. I'll be right back," he ordered as he walked out of the gym and towards the lounge.

He arrived a few moments later and stopped in the doorway when he saw both Skye and Ward on opposite sides of the room. "Perfect."

They both looked up and Skye smiled. "What can I help you with, Trip?"

"I need two people to come and demonstrate a technique for Katrina and Lincoln. You two?"

"You want us?" Skye clarified.

"If you don't mind."

Skye looked at Ward and shrugged. He held his arms out in surrender. "You're the boss."

Skye turned back to Trip. "Sure. You want us to do it now?"

"If possible," he nodded as he headed back towards the gym to check on Katrina and Lincoln.

He walked back into the gym and cleared his throat to make the two stop punching their separate bags. "I'm bringing Skye and Ward in here to come and show you one of the fighting techniques. If you keep practicing, eventually you two will be able to do it."