Chapter 10

"How could this happen to me?!" Raina shrieked as she looked in the mirror. "My grandmother always told me that it was my destiny to be an angel, not some...some cactus!"

Cal, who sat in a chair by his desk behind her, rolled his eyes. "People lie, Raina. All the time."

She turned towards his with venom in her glare. "I'm aware that people lie. But to lie like this! I'm hideous! I won't even be able to go into public anymore!"

"Maybe that's a good thing," Cal shrugged. "Now you'll be able to stay here and continue your research."

Raina laughed in anger as she pointed a finger at him, "you...you are enjoying this, I can tell. You don't care what happens to me! You just want me to work for you all day, every day."

The man in question just smiled as Raina furiously stomped away from him and started pacing. "You informed me that my daughter works for S.H.I.E.L.D. correct?"

Raina folded her arms and then let out a gasp of pain. She detached her arms from the spikes and returned them to her sides. "Yes."

"The same S.H.I.E.L.D. that John Garrett worked for?"

Raina rolled her eyes. "The last I checked, there was only one S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Do you remember Garrett's lapdog?"

"Grant Ward?"

"The one and only," he smiled. "He's in their custody. And if they use their days as a team and friends against him, he could spill all the information he has on Hydra. Everything I salvaged of it, anyway."

"So what do you want to do?" Raina asked as she raised an eyebrow.

"Were you aware that in the time Garrett spent with the boy, Ward sustained many injuries?"

"Yes," she sighed, not understanding where this was going.

"Well, one of those injuries kept him unconscious for a week. In that time, according to this file," he handed her a manila folder with a stack of papers in it, "a device was planted on him."

Raina flipped through the pages and raised an eyebrow in astonishment. "They placed the device in the bullet hole so he wouldn't be aware that they had planted it. Smart. It says here that its sends out an electric pulse?"

"If activated," Cal nodded. "It has enough electricity to stop his heart."

Raina grinned, "so that's our plan?"

Cal returned her grin, "precisely."

Sorry it's short, but I wanted to end with a little bit of a cliffhanger!