Chapter 22

A few days later, Coulson walked in to the lounge where Katrina, Lincoln, Skye, Fitz, Ward, Simmons, and Hunter were playing a game of poker. "We have our next Inhuman."

Skye sighed as she put down her cards. "I swear, sometimes we have a 2 month vacation and other times I can barely sit down before our next mission comes up."

Simmons laughed. "It's true. What do you need us to do?" she craned her neck to look over at Coulson.

Coulson walked over to the poker table and dropped a picture of a woman in her mid-30s on it. "Julia Greyson. Next on the Hydra kill list. Baltimore, Maryland. We need to get there first."

"Who are you sending in?"

"Ward, Lincoln, Trip, and Skye."

"You think I'm ready?" Lincoln asked with a smile on his face.

"From what I've seen, yes," Coulson replied, nodding. "Go get ready."

Skye stood up from the table and pointed at everyone who stayed seated. "If any of you look at my cards I will ruin your life."

___________________________

Ward, Lincoln, Trip, and Skye were dropped off at an air field not far from the woman's house. The four ran towards her house via the back alleyways and appeared on her back porch. Skye rang the doorbell twice. No answer. She rang again. Still no answer. She opened the door and cautiously walked inside, gun drawn. The boys followed her and they made their way towards the living room, where they heard the TV on. Skye stopped abruptly as she saw the woman sprawled on the ground, gunshot to the chest.

"She's dead," she informed Coulson over her comm.

Coulson swore before answering. "Alright, get out of there. I'll take care of the body."

Skye agreed and she motioned to the guys behind her to head for the doors.

Ward grabbed the door handle and tried to open the door. It wouldn't budge. "We're locked in."

It was a trap.

As soon as Skye realized that it was a trap, a green mist started pouring out of the vents.

"Terrigen mist," Lincoln said as he watched it flood the room. "Katrina was telling me about this."

Skye looked around in confusion. "What's that going to do? We're all Inhumans." She paused before her eyes widened. She whipped her head around to stare at Ward.

His eyes widened in alarm as a black rock-like substance started encasing his body. "Skye..."

Skye swore.

Ward took one last deep breath before he was totally engulfed in the substance and the world faded to black.

Everything was burning. His lungs were burning, his eyes were burning, his entire body was burning. And all he could see was black. For those few moments, everything that Ward knew was blackness.

He could hear a voice in the distance calling out his name. He tried to respond but he was frozen, unable to move, unable to speak.

"Ward!"

It was Skye. He tried reaching out to her but he couldn't move. He heard her swear before all of the sudden, everything was shaking. There was a constant vibration all around him before cracks of light started to appear before him. The black casing around him opened up and started to crumble. He saw Skye stand in front of him and lower her arm.

He took a deep breath. "What the hell just happened?"

Skye looked shocked as she took in the scene before her. Ward survived the terrigen mist. That meant he...was an Inhuman. She watched the flicker of a flame dance across his eyes before disappearing entirely. "You survived."

"How? I thought only Inhumans were supposed to..." realization crossed his face as his eyes widened, "oh."

Lincoln and Trip shot a concerned glance at each other. "We should probably get him back to base."

The crackle of the comm in her ear broke Skye out of her stupor. "What's up, AC?"

"You turned your comm off, what happened?"

"Oh, nothing much, just terrigen mist was released into the house."

"The Inhuman thing?"

"You got it," Skye swallowed.

"So you're all fine...wait, Ward." Skye heard Coulson swear on the other end.

"That's the funny thing, Boss," Skye chuckled awkwardly, "he's fine."

"Are you trying to tell me that-"

"Ward's an Inhuman?" Skye nodded, "yep."

Boom baby! Thanks for reading! Let me know what you thought, comments make my day 100x better!