Chapter 15

"There's no need for this, I already know how to control my powers," Katrina objected as Simmons led her to a quarantine room.

Simmons shook her head. "I'm sure you do. But for right now, we need you to stay in here. The longest you'll be in here in a maximum of a week."

Katrina rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. "Fine."

"Thank you," Simmons smiled, opening the glass door for her, "in you go. Skye will be by shortly. She said she wanted to talk to you."

Katrina shrugged. "Not like I'm going anywhere."

Simmons gave her a sympathetic smile and closed the door behind her. Katrina only had a wait a few short moments before Skye walked in. "I don't have to stay long, I only have a few questions."

Katrina shrugged and sat down on the bed. "What would you like to know?"

"How long have you known you were an Inhuman?"

"Three years."

"How did you go through the process of getting your powers? Did Hydra capture you and force you to transform?"

Katrina shook her head. "No. I actually knew about the Inhuman gene from my mother. She was one too. She had this green crystal," she explained, holding her fingers apart to show the approximate size, "it transformed me. It's what's inside of the obelisk Hydra is using."

"And you know about Hydra how?" Skye's brow furrowed.

"I was able to hack into their systems and keep tabs on them. I like to know what I'm up against."

Skye grinned, "you're a hacker?"

Katrina returned the smile and shrugged. "I dabble."

Skye's smile faded and she rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly. "I just have one last question for you. I might be going crazy, I just wanted to know if I was seeing things. Did you see a man in your house? He was only there for a second. You know what?" Skye laughed as she shook her head, "never mind. It sounds crazier when you say it out loud."

"You're not crazy, Skye," Katrina reassured her. "That was just a friend of mine. He's in hiding. I found him and now I'm protecting him." A frown crossed her face. "Or, I was."

"Well, you can help us track him down. We can find him and protect him here," Skye said, standing up out of the chair she had acquired.

Katrina shook her head in protest. "He doesn't want to come to S.H.I.E.L.D. He doesn't want people to see him like this."

"Like what? What can he do?" Skye asked, confused all over again.

"Look, it doesn't matter, he doesn't want to come and now I'm stuck here and I can't protect him anymore." Katrina said, refolding her arms across her chest.

Skye sighed and stood up, "I'm sorry."

Katrina nodded as she wiped a single stray tear from her eye. "Me too."

____________________________

Skye walked towards the motorcycle near the entrance of the base. "Tell Coulson I'm just going out to get some fresh air. I'll be careful."

May looked apprehensive as Skye walked past her, but she nodded finally. "Stay safe."

Skye shot her a thumbs up before grabbing a helmet and fastening it under her chin. She climbed on the bike and started it up, leaving the base behind her in a flash.

She rode down the busy streets of the nearby town, maneuvering around the other cars.

She finally pulled up to Katrina's house and parked her bike. She hopped off and made her way towards the door, gun drawn in case the other Inhuman tried to hurt her. She opened the door with a skeleton key and walked around the house as silently as she could. She heard the creak of a floorboard upstairs and she took a deep breath, starting her ascent. "Hello? Anyone home? My name is Skye, I'm here to help."

The door at the end of the hallway opened and a man stepped out cautiously. "Skye?"

Skye dropped the gun in shock as she felt all of the wind being knocked out of her. She couldn't believe it. It was Trip.

"Trip? How are you still alive?" she asked, surprised beyond all belief. "I watched you die."

"The uh...obelisk thing wasn't as deadly to me as Raina thought it would be," he said awkwardly.

"But you...you broke! You turned to stone and then were in fragments on the ground!" she exclaimed.

Trip nodded and then took a deep breath. "Don't freak out."

Before Skye could ask what he meant, he disappeared before her very eyes. He appeared a moment later in the exact same spot. "Invisibility," she said, in shock. You didn't die, your shell broke and you were invisible!" she laughed, placing everything together. "Why didn't you want to come to S.H.I.E.L.D.?"

"I didn't want to be treated differently," he finally admitted, looking at his hands. "I definitely changed when Hydra took us. I didn't want to see you guys look at me like I'm a monster."

"You're not a monster, Trip. I was changed that day too. I don't really know how to use my powers very well, yet, but I'm working on it. You don't have to worry about the team being uncomfortable about it." She walked towards him, apprehensively at first, but then threw caution to the wind and wrapped him in a hug. "The team will be beside themselves with joy when they hear you're okay?"

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," she nodded against his chest.

He took a deep breath and then nodded as well. "Alright."

She looked up at him with a smile. "Really?"

He matched her smile. "Take me home."

Hope you enjoyed!!!