Chapter 14

Jessica's POV

"Is she going to be okay?" I heard my mother ask. I wasn't sure who she was talking to though. I groaned. As I began to become more alert, I could feel pain in my side and a pounding in my head.

"She will be fine but she will be in a lot of pain." A male voice replied calmly. "She will need to take it easy and not overdo. We have been giving her pain medication but it seems to be wearing off. We'll give her another dose as soon as the nurse comes in."

I tried to open my eyes but they wouldn't respond to my efforts. So I gave up and listened. It sounded like I was in a hospital but why was I here? what happened to me?

The door opened and I heard a unfamiliar woman's voice. And then I was out again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next time I woke up, I could open my eyes. I looked around and saw all the walls were white. I was in a bed with tubes and machines all around me. There was a chair to my right and to my surprise I saw Anthony sitting there, holding my hand.

"You're awake," he commented softly, his eyes burning into mine. I noticed they were a deep blue color today.

I groaned again. I had a massive headache and don't even get me started on how my stomach was.

"What happened?" I croaked. my mouth was as dry as sandpaper and it hurt.

He grabbed the glass of water on the nightstand beside him and helped me take a sip. When I was done, he set it back down.

"Do you remember anything?" he asked me, still in the same soft tone.

"No..?" I looked at him, my eyes pleading with him to tell me.

"Do you know Jeremy Fields?" he asked me. I could hear the anger in his tone.

His hand squeezed mine with a tighter force. I was surprised by the hate I could see in his eyes. 

"Yeah, I used to date him," I told him questioningly. "Why? What's wrong? And why am I here?" I looked around at my surroundings again. The white walls were almost eerie and it kind of creeped my out. 

"Do you remember anything that happened?" he asked me. I searched his eyes, hoping for answers about why he looked so upset. But his crystal blue orbs were guarded; I couldn't tell what he was thinking. 

"Not really," I replied hestitantly. I was trying to remember but my head was already pounding and thinking hard wasn't making it any better. "I remember coming to the party with Bekah and Blake, and I remember talking with you..."

He chuckled. I looked up from where I was staring at the bedspread, kind of shocked. Just a minute ago, he looked like he could kill somebody and now he was laughing? What just happened?

"What?" I asked him when I realized he wasn't stopping. "Why are you laughing so hard? Stop laughing! It's not funny! I'm in a freaking hospital!"

This made his howling laughter turn into snickers instead. 

I decided to speak again before he thought of whatever it was that made him laugh and start up again. That wasn't going to get us anywhere. 

"Why are you laughing at me?"

"Are you sure you're head is okay? I think you might have a concussion or something." He mocked me. 

"You really are an asshole aren't you?" I pulled my hand out of his grasp, or at least I tried to, but he wouldn't let me budge. 

"No I'm sorry," he said, stopping the laughter altogether.

"Are you going to tell me why you were laughing now?" I asked him, still kind of peeved.

"Think about it. You remember talking to me? I'm pretty sure I remember it as you making fun of me and rejecting me again." He smiled at me.

Damn he needed to stop doing that. Didn't he realize I was in a hospital and would probably have a seizure or something if he didn't stop smiling that killer smile at me? I mean, I was probably going to die by how bright it was. 

"Maybe I wouldn't keep rejecting you if you weren't such a douchebag." I muttered under my breath. But of course he had like radar ears or something because he replied. 

"Does that mean if I was a better person you would actually let me ask you out?" he asked me, his blue eyes hopeful.

I looked up, startled. "What? Do you even know what being a good person means?" I asked him, incrediously. 

He smiled at me. 

"Of course I do. I've been watching you." 

Okay he was smooth. I'd give him that. And sure he was probably good at this "game" that he plays, but there was no way in hell that I was going to be another one of those idiotic girls who ended up heartbroken.

"Do you know how creepy you sound right now?" I asked him, but it wasn't really an insult considering I had a smile on my face.

"You know you love it." he grinned.

"You wish." I sarcastically responded. "And I still don't know why I'm here?" I asked him with one eyebrow raised.

"Oh yeah," He muttered. "Well, your ex boyfriend, Jeremy?" he asked me. His hand reached up to rub behind his neck. 

"What about him? What does he have to do with any of this?" I was beyond confused now. Why would Jeremy Sherman be involved?

"Well, we don't know fully what happened, but from what we've gathered, Jeremy was drunk off his ass." Anthony looked down at his hands. 

All of a sudden, it all came rushing back. Jeremy dragging me into the laundry room, pushing me against the washer machine, almost raping me, and pushing my head against something hard. I gasped loudly and Anthony must of heard me because he looked up and searched my eyes again. 

"You remember don't you?" I nodded slowly and that made a shooting pain go through my head. 

"Ow, ow, ow," I muttered, holding my head again.

"Do you want me to get the nurse?" he asked me.

"No, I wanna know what happened. Where is my fucking ex?" I seethed.

"He's in custody right now." He replied. "But you're going to have to make a statement to the police. After you blacked out, Derek and I busted open the door and found Jeremy about to rape you. Derek got you out of there. And we're full circle now."

"What happened to Jeremy?" I asked. I already knew the answer. One look at his face told me he beat him to a pulp and he confirmed my suspicions just a second later.

"Let's just say he won't do any walking any time soon." Anthony cracked a small smile. 

I smiled back at him.

"So when can I get out of here?" I mean seriously these white walls were kind of creepy. I just wanted to go back to my own bed. Besides, I've heard hospital food sucks balls.

"Not anytime soon," he laughed. "Why? Is my company not good enough for you?" he joked.

"Nope. Sorry," I grinned.

He playfully pouted at me as the door opened.

"Oh sweetie, you're awake!" my mom exclaimed as she rushed to my bed. 

"Hi mom," I croaked.

"Well, I think that's my cue to leave," Anthony said, standing up and grabbing his jacket. "Hey, I'll be around tomorrow to bring your homework and stuff okay? Feel better." He let go of my hand, but i grabbed it again.

"Hey," I waited until his eyes met mine. "Thank you. For everything. I mean it. What you did..." I gulped. "Just thank you okay?" I needed him to understand.

"You're welcome," he smiled and left.