Chapter 7

The guards lead me down an ornate hallway.

Paintings of sand snakes, terrifying fish with razor sharp teeth and long tentacles, lizard-like creatures covered in barbs and other strange creatures line the walls in gilded frames.

I am led down several staircases. As we descend into the depths below the palace, the air becomes musty and cold. There is no longer any decoration on the walls. The walls are stark and grey.

We reach a dungeon that contains five separate cells. The only light is a single torch fixed to the wall near the staircase. It looks like all of the cells are empty.

The guards toss me into a cell. A few moments later, the creature is led into the cell next to me. It immediately disappears into a dark corner of its cell.

I collapse on the floor, shaken and exhausted. My stomach growls.

I haven't been this hungry in a long time. Not since Aunt Joan adopted me. Her cabinets were always full of snacks. When I was little, she always let me have as much food as I wanted. The first time I stepped into her kitchen I felt like I was in heaven.

She is probably worried by now and wondering why I haven't called her back. What if she is sick or she needs me?

I think back to the last time I saw Aunt Joan. We were at her farm and I was helping her with some chores. There were more chores that needed to get done than I had anticipated and I had to hurry to make it back to the city for my shift at the restaurant.

Before I left, Aunt Joan had pulled me aside and asked me if I wanted to take over the farm. I was caught off guard. I was in a rush and didn't have time to fully grasp what she was asking me. I told her I'd think about it and get back to her.

Had Aunt Joan looked well that day? I try to picture her eyes, her stance, and the way she spoke, but the memory has already faded. Why were there so many chores left undone? That isn't normal for Aunt Joan, she is usually so on top of everything. Why hadn't I slowed down to ask what was going on?

I release a heavy sigh. I have to get out of this strange place and get home. No matter what.

I amble to my feet and approach the heavy metal door of my cell.

I inspect the door and the lock. It is impenetrable. I groan in frustration.

"These doors are not what is keeping you here." A raspy voice says.

Startled, I leap backwards and spin towards the sound of the voice.

It sounded like the voice came from the creature's cell, but that is impossible.

"Who are you? Show yourself." I stammer.

"Calm down girl. No use getting all worked up." A wiry woman wearing a simple long black dress stands before me in the cage where the creature had been.

"Where did the creature go?" I say.

"I am the creature and she is me." The woman says. "My name is Madge."

I step forward and peer through the darkness at the woman. Her eyes are clearly human, but they are also wild and feral. I can sense the creature that dwells beneath her skin, even though she is now in human form.

"Are you human?" I ask.

"Yes, but like you, my magic comes from within. I don't need gemstones or enchantments."

"I saw magic in the streets. I felt the power in the cuffs and chains they used to subdue me." I say.

"What you saw in the marketplace was nothing more than simple enchantments. Anyone can learn to use enchanted gemstones to do simple tricks." Madge flicks her wrist and a single red rose appears in her hand. She holds the rose up to her nose, breathes deeply, then the rose disappears.

"The power you felt in the cuffs and chains was real magic. The metal was enchanted by Dominic, Kronos' right hand man. Kronos and Dominic wield true power that comes from within. Kronos can control animals. Dominic can control metal." Madge continues. "You, however, are special. You can break enchantments. You can break the hold that magic has on an object or creature. Power like this hasn't been seen since Kyzalah lived two hundred years ago. You have the power to save us all."

"Save you? Save you from what?" I can't help but to laugh."I can't even save myself!"

Madge moves towards the bars that separate us. I step back, putting space between us. Madge's unnerving stare follows me as I retreat deeper into my cell.

The memory of her in animal form raking her claws down my chest is still fresh in my memory. The bars separate us but I am still afraid of her.

Madge's eyes lock on mine and I feel as if she can see inside my mind. "I am not the one you should fear. The true threat to your life is Kronos. When he discovers that you can break magic, he will have you killed. Your abilities are a threat to his rule."

"I don't care about magic. I am not a threat to his rule or anyone else's. I just want to go home." My legs are tired. I sit and pull my knees to my chest.

"Well you should start caring because it is the only thing that is going to keep you alive. Kronos is a dangerous man. He rules this island and all of the other Islands of Cora through fear. He has used his power to strip all of the dragons and sea monsters of their free will. He controls them and uses them to keep each of the islands isolated from one another. People cannot trade, travel, or band together against Kronos. The islands are completely reliant on Kronos for supplies, information, protection...everything."

"Even if I wanted to help, I can't. I'm locked up in a cell if you haven't noticed." I say.

"You are not trapped here and neither am I. Bars cannot hold people like us." Madge says.

"Then why do you stay here?"

"Because it is not yet time for me to leave." Madge replies.

I am about to speak when I hear the sound of footsteps descending into the dungeon.

I look at Madge, curious to see if she will transform into the large cat-like form again but instead she just smiles serenely at me.

I scramble to my feet and press my body against the bars. I expect the heavy footfalls of the guards, but instead the footsteps are light and hurried.

A candle flickers in the visitor's hand. When the visitor reaches the bottom of the stairs, the candle lights his face.

It is Easton.