Chapter 11

I walk until I reach a deep river that cuts slowly through the canyon. Rock walls rise up all around me. I feel small next to the enormous boulders and jagged rock cliffs. I fall to my knees and splash water on my face.

The water is refreshing and cool. I take off my shoes and dangle my feet in the water.

These people want me to save them but I just want to go home. I want to return to my own world and my own life.

Rhea said that magic has a price. What price will I pay? Every time I use magic I feel it in my body. How much can I handle? How much magic will I need to get home?

I think about how far I've come since Aunt Joan adopted me. I have a job, I'm good at helping run the farm, I am in my last year of high school and my grades are good.

I wasn't always so together. I remember the last thing I stole. It was a King size pack of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and I had just turned six. I stole it just before Aunt Joan adopted me and I got caught. I expected Aunt Joan to yell at me but instead she sat down and looked right into my eyes and said, "You get to choose the kind of person you are. You can be the kind of person who takes or the kind of person who gives. It is completely up to you."

I had never thought I had a choice before. I had been letting other people tell me who I was. I had been labeled a foster kid, a trouble-maker, and many other things. Other people told me who I was and I believed them. Aunt Joan's words stuck with me and over time, little by little, I started making my own mind up about who I was.

I stare across the river. The canyon looks like it goes on forever.

I can't leave if I am the only hope these people have. The person I am — the person I want to be — would stay and help.

I release a heavy sigh. Ok, I will try to help and then I will get home somehow.

"Are you alright?"

I jump at the sound of Easton's voice. I didn't hear him approach.

"Yeah," I reply. "I think so."

His warm brown eyes travel over me as if he is looking for proof. Finally, his face relaxes.

"So where are you from?" he asks. He takes a seat next to me on the river bank.

"This will sound crazy, but I'm from a whole different world." I reply.

"Fine, you don't have to tell me." Easton shrugs.

"I'm serious!" I say.

"So what do you do for fun in this world of yours?" Easton picks up a rock and skips it across the river.

"I put evil spells on people," I reply with a mischievous grin. If he's not going to believe me about my world, there's no use in telling the truth.

Easton's eyes widen.

"I'm just kidding!" I laugh.

The sound of footsteps materialize behind us. I turn to see Sarah slowing to a walk as she approaches. "There you guys are! Did I overhear something about spells?"

"Yeah, Easton thinks I cast evil spells." I say with a smile.

"Blazes it's hot out here." Sarah pants, catching her breath. She must have been running.

"They say Kyzalah could conjure love spells." Sarah continues. She tosses the bow and arrows that were strapped to her back on the river bank, clutches her heart, and dramatically falls backward into the river.

"Those would definitely come in handy from time to time." She adds when she bobs up out of the water. She winks and splashes water towards Easton and me.

Easton stands, about to splash water back at Sarah when he slips on a mossy rock. I clumsily try to steady him, but I miss and we both tumble into the river.

Easton's large hands wrap around me and he holds me up so my head is above water.

"Can you swim?" he asks as he treads water.

"Yes," I say.

"Well, you are on your own then, evil sorceress." He laughs and lets go of me. I drop from his grip and almost get a mouthful of water.

My skin is warm where his hands held me. Water glistens off of his tan skin. He is so much more at ease here in the desert. He was so stiff and formal when I met him in the city. I like this side of him.

Maybe sticking around for a while won't be so bad.

We swim back to the bank panting and laughing.

Easton is about to speak again when a large shadow passes over us. I look up. A massive creature flies over our heads, blocking the sun. It is covered in scales. The scales reflect the sunlight, creating ripples of glimmering green, gold, and purple on the animal's skin as it glides above us. It is both terrifying and beautiful.

It is a dragon.

Riding on the dragon's back are dozens of Dark soldiers.