Chapter 17

I sense the dark magic that fills the valley the moment I descend into the crater.

Fog wraps around my ankles like slippery, wet shackles, softly pulling me in. The air is dense and mist obscures my vision.

Trampled grasses carpet the valley floor. Stange bushes with gluttonous, oversized leaves spring from the earth. Their flowers make the air smell sickly sweet.

I thought Kronos could only control animals. Why would the plant life be affected by the curse too?

I get my answer when I take another step forward and my foot lands in a pile of horse dung.

Everything is connected. The horses feed and leave waste in this valley. Whatever has poisoned the horses has poisoned the valley too. This whole place is cursed.

I wrinkle my nose and try to shake the dung off my shoe. How long do I have until the curse affects me?

Please let this curse be lifted, I silently beg. Does this count as a decision that's strong enough to lift the curse? If not, what does?

My thoughts are interrupted when I hear the thunderous sound of hooves coming towards me. The horses are charging in my direction.

My heart hammers in my chest. I grip my dagger in my fist. It feels tiny and pitiful in my hand. What good will the Blade of Dawn do me here?

Make a decision, I remind myself.

"Stop!" I shout.

The horses continue forward. They are moments away from trampling me.

The mist parts and I can see the horses clearly now. Their eyes roll in their heads. Foam drips from their muzzles. Their bones protrude from their bodies at sharp angles. They are creatures out of a nightmare. Fear pulses through my veins.

Stop, stop, stop, I chant in my head. This word becomes my mantra.

Stop!

The horses are seconds away from colliding with me when my dagger glows in my hands. The horses grind to a halt inches from where I stand. One horse is so close to me that I can feel its hot breath on my shoulder.

The horses stamp their feet, snort and neigh. A wild torrent of emotion pierces my heart and fills my mind. I can feel what the horses are feeling. They are lost, desperate, and crazed. They seek a leader. They seek freedom from the sickness that has taken hold of their minds.

I can feel their pain and their pleas in my bones.

It is enough to drive me mad.

My mind reels.

I feel myself losing touch with my own thoughts. The needs and emotions of the horses threaten to overpower me. I am drowning in their cries. They want to share the burden of their suffering and make me one of them.

No. I am not one of you.

Pain shoots through my arm and I realize that my fingers are numb. My dagger has become icy cold. I grip the dagger tighter and focus on the pain as my fingers stiffen.

I concentrate on the simple task of moving my fingers. I breathe deeply and focus on my body. The voices subside enough to allow me to regain control of my thoughts.

Stay focused. I whisper.

I don't know how to lift this curse. How do I wield my magic with a decision when I don't know what decision needs to be made.

Wishing for the curse to be lifted hasn't worked. I need a better plan.

This is impossible, I sigh.

Impossible.

The word tastes foul in my mouth.

Slowly, it dawns on me that my hope that the curse would be lifted failed because it wasn't backed by any conviction. Deep inside I didn't believe in the dagger or myself. I didn't believe that I would be able to lift the curse.

As this realization sinks in, the dagger begins to warm in my palm.

I can do this, I tell myself. I can, and will, lift this curse. I say these words over and over in mind until I believe them.

The horses become still and the clamor in my mind subsides.

Magic surges through my veins and I know what to do.

I raise my dagger above my head and slam the blade down into the soil. A ripple of light bursts from the spot where the blade slices through the dirt.

The unnaturally large leaves on the bushes near me wither. Its swollen fruit rots and falls to the ground. The horses whinny and the glazed look in their eyes disappear. A sense of calm washes over the valley.

My strange connection with the horses lingers. I can feel their relief and joy. The curse is broken.

My body aches.

I feel like I just ran a marathon.With my last remnants of strength, I climb out of the valley. As I climb, I notice that a solitary black horse is following me. I am almost to the top of the ledge when Titun, the sullen tribesman, rushes past me and launches himself towards the black horse.

Tears stream down his face and he is speaking so quickly that I cannot understand what he is saying.

I am exhausted by the time I step onto the ledge. I am about to approach my horse when all of the tribespeople drop to one knee and bow their heads.

Nova bows last.

"Kyzala, my queen." She whispers. "You have returned."

She looks up at me with her fierce blue eyes and a single tear glistens on her cheek.