Chapter 15

Ren's hands ball into fists and he whirls around to face Xander.

"You will address her as Rah. And I will not carry your message. You are dead to me. You are dead to this tribe." Anger and pain wash over Ren's face.

A beautiful girl glides towards us and stops behind Ren. She places her hand gently on Ren's back.

"I can take it from here," she says soothingly in Ren's ear.

"Rah," Ren replies and bows his head.

"I can stay—" Ren offers.

"No, go. Today is a day of celebration. I will not let it be ruined by this unfortunate occurrence." Nova looks straight at me as she speaks. Her eyes are piercingly blue and her pale blonde hair glistens softly in the fading daylight.

"Go be with the others." Nova gestures towards the other side of the camp where the young girl celebrates with the hawk.

It is clear Ren doesn't want to leave, but he nods stiffly and leaves.

"Nova," Xander breathes.

"You are a traitor. You are lucky I have let you live this long." Nova's words are sharp and full of buried emotion.

"You know why I went to Kronos. It was the only way to save Mila." Xander argues weakly.

"You fool. You selfish, ignorant fool. Did you ever stop to think what Mila wanted? Your sister would have never betrayed the Resistance to save herself. Your actions crippled the Resistance effort for years. You betrayed the tribe." Nova's voice drops. "You betrayed me."

"I had no choice. Mila was dying. Nova, I still love you. I will always love you." Xander struggles against the ropes that bind him, desperate to reach out to her.

Nova's expression hardens. "You mean nothing to me."

Nova turns to leave.

"Wait!" Easton calls out. "We can help the Resistance. Thea is a breaker of magic and she possesses Kyzalah's blade. If we die, the Resistance will never defeat Kronos. Thea is the key to our success."

Nova stops abruptly and narrows her eyes at me. "It is what he says true? Show me the blade."

"Yes. The blade is on my hip." I reply.

Nova approaches me warily. She pulls the blade out of the sheath, gasps, and drops it immediately. Her hands are red. It burned her, just like it has burned everyone else who has tried to hold it. She pulls her sleeve over her hand to protect her skin and warily attempts to pick up the blade again. The fabric protects her and she is able to hold the dagger.

"The Blade of Dawn," She says reverently.

I breathe a sigh of relief, but I relax a moment too soon.

"Just because you have the Blade of Dawn does not mean you are a true breaker of magic." Nova says. "Before I risk my tribe and the Resistance movement, I need to see you break magic with my own eyes."

"How?" Xander asks. "There is no magic on this island."

"Yes there is. Kronos bestowed a curse upon the valley after you left. In the morning we will go there." A cold wind blows through Nova's long hair. "And you will break the curse."