Chapter 21

Powerful gusts of wind, created by the beating of the dragon's wings, slam into me as the dragons approach.

Easton, Sarah and I spur our horses into motion and gallop towards the coastline. The dragons pursue us until we are trapped between them and the tide. They form a semi-circle around us as they land. We dismount our horses and retreat backwards until seawater laps at our ankles.

Dark soldiers leap from the dragons' backs. One solder steps forward and takes off his helmet.

It is Kronos.

His irises are like obsidian stones set on a white canvas.

"So you are the breaker of magic?" He says. His reptilian gaze locks on me. The blood in my veins turns ice cold.

I wrap my fingers around the hilt of my dagger.

"I am not afraid of you." I lie.

Kronos smiles, flashing his white teeth like a predator. "You should be," he purrs.

I pull my dagger from its sheath and I hold it in front of me, aiming it at Kronos. When I do, the dragons rear up and flap their wings.

I am almost knocked off of my feet by an onslaught of sound. I am overcome with the same feeling I had in the valley of the horses before I lifted the curse. Unintelligible voices dripping with fury invade my mind.

I am hearing the dragons. I realize. They know I have the Blade of Dawn. They want their freedom.

"Enough!" Kronos shouts. The dragons become still and voices fall silent, but I can see the rage smoldering behind the dragons' eyes.

"Kill her." Kronos commands.

A Dark Soldier steps forward. The sun glares off of his black face shield. Easton draws his blades and Sarah readies her bow and arrows when a black cloud descends upon us. Shrill cries fill the air.

A huge flock of ravens dives down on top of us.

The sound of thunder follows. A stampede of horses charge towards us. The herd is led by Nova. Tinun is by her side riding his thin, black stallion, followed by ten other tribespeople on horseback and dozens of riderless horses. I remember the horse tattoos on Nova's arms and her connection with her brown horse. She is leading the domesticated horses and Tinun is leading the wild horses.

Nova rides fluidly as if she and her horse are one.

Raven, the little girl, must have summoned the birds. She must have caught Easton, Sarah and me leaving the cave and took note of what direction we headed. She would have sent a message to Nova using her birds. She may not like me, but it is clear after only a few moments with her that she is fiercely loyal to Nova and to her tribe. Nova tasked her with being her eyes and her messenger. Raven did her job.

The ravens cause chaos and obscure the Dark Soldiers vision. Nova and her people send arrows raining down on the Dark Soldiers. Kronos mounts one of the dragons and launches into the sky. He circles above, watching as Nova's tribe and the Dark Soldiers collide in battle.

The Dark Soldiers are ruthless and better armed, but the tribespeople are more agile and quick.

Screams pierce my ears. The white sand beach is stained and muddied with blood.

Nova rides towards me and dismounts. "My people and I can take on the Dark Soldiers, but only you can face Kronos. This is your chance." She shouts through the clamor. Her cheeks are flushed and her muscles tense as she readies herself to fight. She is a true warrior.

Kronos circles slowly, watching from above. Why doesn't he force the dragons to fight? They could spew fire over this battle, ending it in seconds. He could win easily.