-04-

“Well… the damn note said to go to the damn lake. Am I really getting murdered today, huh? Well! Those fools think they're gonna murder me, huh?! I'll fuckin show them, I'll-”

“Who the fuck are you talking to?” Someone speaks up from behind Jonathan, startling him enough to trip over a rock and fall flat on his face.

“No- nobody! It's none of your business!” Jonathan scrambles to his feet, whirling around to face whoever decided to be creepy and scare him.

Whatever plan he had in his head, however, is gone the second he sees who it is. Evan, of all people, is standing behind him, a curious look on his face.

He shrugs. “Well, I mean, you were just talking to yourself in the middle of the woods. I was just curious, you know.” Evan falls silent for a moment, before his eyes widen and he gasps. “Oh, right! I'm Evan.”

Jonathan rolls his eyes, crossing his arms. “Yeah. I know. You were staring at me all through history.”

Evan smirks. “And you fainted in my arms. Your point is?”

Jonathan thinks for a second, before narrowing his eyes. “Because you scared the shit out of me! Both here at the lake and at gym!”

This time, instead of some sarcastic comeback, Evan stays silent. He looks down at the ground, awkwardly shifting in his spot. “Uh… yeah. About that, well… I just wanted to apologise. I didn't mean to scare you, I just kinda saw you doing the water magic and I got really curious, and… and then I realized I must've looked like some kind of creep staring from the bushes.”

“So you jump out and swoop in like some kind of eagle? What kinda logic is that?!” Jonathan stomps on the ground, waving his arms around.

“Well… yeah. But you fainting in my arms isn't my fault. So that one's on you.” Evan snickers quietly, shoving his hands into his pockets.

Jonathan falls silent, just looking over at Evan. Evan had a smug look on his face, eyes currently a rather enticing shade of light amber. Not the pretty earthy brown they had been earlier today, in gym. And weren't his eyes freakishly yellow when Evan had saved him?

That was weird. A pretty kind of weird, if Jonathan was being honest with himself.  Evan was kinda pretty as a whole, now that Jon looks at him. But that's kinda gay, and now isn't the time to be gay, he decides.

“So why do your damn eyes change color, huh? What's that all about?” Jonathan gives a demanding look.

Evan shrugs in response. “Why is your hair so short?”

“Because that's just how I like it. Now why do your eyes change color, huh?”

“Well, they grow lighter at night. And then they go all yellow when I use my wings,” he explains. “It helps me see better at night. I have night vision, kinda.”

“So… you're an owl?” Jonathan finds himself feeling a bit jealous. That was super fucking cool compared to the crappy water powers Jonathan had.

Why couldn't Jonathan get some super cool shit like that? If he had wings and the freaky night vision eyes that changed color, he would use it to scare the shit out of people, or to become some kind of superhero.

But then again… he would have to be good looking in order to be a good hero. Would he gain some kind of beauty like Evan's, or…

Actually, what the fuck is he thinking?

“Jon? Look,” Evan snickers, “I know I'm pretty beautiful, but do you really gotta be so shy about it?”

It takes Jonathan a moment to realize that he had been thinking out loud, making him blush furiously. “Sh- shut- shutch up! Nob- no- nobody fuckin’ asked you, asshole!”