Volume 2, Chapter 1: The Calm before the Storm

Skyler and DJ stepped into the ring as Jameson and I watched from the far side of the training room.

Their faces were equally confident and determined as they faced each other.

"You sure you wanna do this?" DJ asked with a smirk.

Sky donned her blacked-out shades and deployed her clawed gauntlets as she took her stance. Her expression was unchanging. "Anything to shut up your incessant bragging," she said flatly.

DJ's cocky smirk gave way to a look of stern focus. He reached into the sheath on his back and drew his massive sword - if you could really call it a sword. 

It was more like a cricket bat. The 3 ½ foot "blade" was bulky and lacked a sharp edge. Instead, the rounded edges glowed green as he charged the dust infused within with his aura. 

Depending on how much energy he applied, his weapon could either be used bluntly, generate an electric shock, or cut with the precision of the sharpest blade. I knew from experience that no matter how he used it, that thing hurt - a lot!

He took his stance, studying Skyler's position for a moment, before he made his move. He was in striking distance instantly by using his semblance. 

He called it "shifting." It was basically a step above Ruby's exceptional speed. One could almost argue that it was teleportation, but he was actually moving - gliding across the floor in a straight line from one position to the next in a blur.

Skyler was ready for him, but DJ's speed almost overtook her. She was barely able to jump out of the way as he slashed at her. From there, Sky could only manage to keep up her defense as DJ shifted from one position to next, attacking her from every angle.

I watched Sky closely. She never had a chance to retaliate, but her face showed no signs of concern or struggle. Jamie spoke just as I realized. "She's waiting for him to tire out," he said.

I couldn't keep from smiling, my eyes never leaving their duel. It was a great approach. DJ was coming at her with everything he had, but he wouldn't be able to keep up his pace much longer. If Sky could stay on her toes until then, an opportunity would soon present itself.

After another minute or two, my theory proved correct. DJ was losing steam fast. The delay between his shifts was getting noticeably longer and longer. A smile appeared on Sky's face as she continued to avoid his attacks. She'd noticed it too; her patience had paid off. 

She timed her strike perfectly, predicting his slower movements. She flipped and twisted in the air just as he began to shift. He stopped at his next position just as Sky's feet were coming down from her acrobatics. Her foot made brutal contact with the side of his head, sending him straight to the ground - out cold.

Jamie and I jerked in surprise, thoroughly impressed by the tactic. "Daaaaaamn!" I couldn't hold back my exclamation. 

Jamie ran to check on DJ. I quickly followed with a wide grin on my face. I liked what I'd just seen. Jamie knelt down and rolled DJ onto his back. The movement was enough to wake him up. 

He groaned as Jameson helped him sit up. His head hung loosely in his daze. "What happened?" he said groggily. 

"Sky just shut you up, bro!" I exclaimed with a laugh. Skyler was smiling smugly as she stood next to me, justly pleased with herself. 

DJ rubbed his aching head as Jamie looked him over for serious injuries. "And how exactly did you do that?" he asked Skyler.

"When you started to slow down, it gave me time to focus on where you were looking before your shifts. I predicted your movements based on that," she replied proudly.