Chapter 16

Picture of Jake's wolf, Bounce on top

Evangeline

The next morning, I woke up to Blake lovingly kissing my nose. He laughed when I scrunched up my nose, "Good morning Evangeline, we have to leave in a few hours so please get up now babe." I groaned, burying my face in my pillow, "Where are we going?" I mumbled sleepily. Blake rubbed my back, "To the Moonlight pack house remember?" Realization struck me like a thunderbolt, "Oh..." I lifted up my face and hastily sat up, "I'm scared, Blake." Blake caressed my cheek, "It's going to be okay little one, I will stay by your side the whole time there. No one will ever hurt you, not on my watch." I leaned into his touch and closed my eyes, "I hope not..."

After getting ready for the trip and unwillingly packing my belongings in a duffle bag, I followed Blake downstairs to attend breakfast. "Here come the lovebirds!" singsonged Charlotte with a grin. I blushed and looked down, "Morning guys." I greeted. Blake playfully pinched my cheeks, amused by the rosiness of them, "Come on little one, let's eat." The chatters and small talks that morning were light and casual, "Can I take Paws with me to the Moonlight pack?" I asked Blake, hoping that he will say yes because Paws will bring much comfort to me. Blake glanced over at my little puppy happily eating, "Of course you can Evangeline. If he stayed behind, Paws would be so sad without you and I am sure you need him as much as he needs you." As if on cue, Paws abandoned his food and trotted up to me, giving me an adorable puppy grin and pawing my leg, signaling me to pick him up. I leaned down to pet his soft head before gently picking him up and placing him on my lap, "You hear that Paws? We're going on our first trip together!" Paws' tail wagged and he licked my chin, "We need to pack up your things too then!" I told him cheerfully. Blake smiled at me, "We leave soon so hurry up cutie."

I got out Paws baby blue travel bag from my closet and placed a food and water bowl with Paws' name engraved on them, along with two soft blankets, a small bag of kibbles, a bottle of puppy milk, some of his favorite treats, a baby blue leash and matching collar and finally, most of his toys, including his favorite squeaky toy, Mr. Zouzou. I zipped up the bag after stuffing everything in, "All done boy! You're all ready to go!" Paws', who sat next to me wagged his tail and barked happily. "Evangeline, we're leaving!" called out Blake, who was already outside stuffing the van with everyone's suitcases, including mine. I picked up Paws and carried his bag in my other hand, "You ready boy? I asked him. Paws snuggled close, lavishing my warmth and barked as if he was saying yes.

Before getting into the minivan, we hugged Tae and Sydney goodbye, they are going to be in charge of the pack while we are gone. "I'll miss you, Evangeline. Text me every day and be safe." Sydney told me while she hugged me tightly. I smiled and returned the hug, "Don't worry, I will. I'll miss you more Syd." After everyone said their goodbyes, we all got in the van and buckled up. Blake, who was the designated driver turned back to look at the rest of us, "Ready everyone? Forget anything?" Everyone looked around, mentally checking if we had everything before shaking our heads. "We're all good," concluded Jamie. Blake grinned, "Then off we roll then!"

After one hour of driving on the never-ending highway, I swiftly drifted off to sleep, hugging Paws close to my chest for comfort. Sleep was my only escape from reality, I did not want to face the fact that I was going back just yet. "Wake up Evangeline, we are stopping to have our picnic, it's lunchtime," announced Blake, shaking me gently awake. I opened my eyes and still half asleep, climbed out of the van. A picnic was already set up, a checkered red and white blanket sat on the grass and the food that Sydney and Jamie made that morning were all spread out on it. "Where are we?" I asked, looking around at the unfamiliar landscape. Blake answered, "At a park, Jamie spotted it on the way and we thought it was a perfect place to stop for our lunch break." I smiled, "Well, it's beautiful and Paws seems to be loving it." My puppy was running around the field like a mad dog, stretching his legs with his tail wagging 100 miles per hour.

Lunch consisted of BLT sandwiches, apple juice, and M&M cookies, all the typical picnic foods. "That was delicious!" exclaimed Maxwell, licking ketchup off his fingers. Paws also got his own food, a hearty bowl of kibbles and I sneaked in little bits of bacon from my sandwich for him as a special treat for being so good during the car ride. Once everything was packed away again in the van, the road trip started again. "How much time left?" I asked Blake nervously, dreading the answer. "About 30 minutes left little one," Blake told me with a soft smile, reaching back to squeeze my hand reassuringly. I looked out the window drifted off into a daydream as the scenery passed me by like a never-ending film tape. Paws sensing my distress tried to comfort me the best he can by snuggling closer. 

"We are here," Blake finally announced the words that I have been dreading to hear since we left home. One by one, we got out of the van to greet the Moonlight pack. My heart stopped when I saw my brother and Xavier with his arms wrap around the shoulder of a Barbie look-alike standing in front of the rest of the Moonlight Pack. They both looked tired, frail, tinner, and had deep dark eye circles, indicating the few hours of sleep they had these past months. The Moonlight Pack bowed down in respect to the Crescent Moon Pack. It was the customary way for werewolves pack to greet each other. Xavier and Alec's eyes widened and their heads snapped up as soon as they caught my scent. Xavier took a cautious step towards me as if he did not want to scare me off. His sudden movement caused Blake to growl warningly and pull me closer to his side protectively, daring them to come any closer. I could feel the anger rolling off of him in waves. I whimpered and looked at the floor, I wanted to run away, I wanted to go home. "Evangeline? Is that really you?" Xavier asked, doubting if it's really me, he rubbed his eyes as if to clear them up before blinking a few times. Alec, ignoring Blake's warning growl, took a step closer as well, "Baby sis?" That was when Blake stepped in and took charge as I shook like a leaf in his warm and protective arms, "Look, leave her alone Xavier and Alec. You two don't deserve to talk to her, not until she is ready to face the both of you. We are just here to return a favor and that is final. Touch or talk to her without my permission and I will make sure you suffer." His powerful and dominating Alpha voice rang through the Moonlight Pack, making everyone bow their heads in submission. 

Blake's Alpha tone had no effects on Xavier as he is an Alpha himself, but Alec stepped back, shaking his head sadly, disappointed to not have been able to reach me, bowed along with everyone else from his pack. For a moment, I felt a pang of longing for my big brother, missing the days where he cared. Missing the days where he would tuck me into bed and read me bedtime stories when mom and dad were away at pack meetings. I missed my big brother but when images of him beating and abusing me flashed throughout my head, those feelings quickly left as soon as they came. "Evangeline... I'm so sorry. Please give me another chance baby. I'm so sorry for hurting you. I fully take back my rejection. You're my mate and I need you." Xavier desperately tried again after getting no response from me, regret, pain, and longing in his tone. The tears that I have been holding back this whole time started to cascade unendingly down my face, causing Blake to relax a little bit and look back at me with concern and worry in his bright blue eyes. I am not ready, I am not ready to face them. Not today. "Babe, you're mine! That girl is useless and totally ugly. Urgh, just look at her, baby, I'm so much better. I am your Luna." the Barbie suddenly shrieked, clinging once again to Xavier's arm. Xavier angrily growled causing the girl to let go immediately in fear, "Shut it, Brittany. I am done with you. Do I make myself clear?" Xavier said in his thundering Alpha voice. Brittany whimpered, but nodded, not daring to disobey her Alpha.

Winter growled furiously, I have never heard her so angry, betrayal clear in her tone,"He did disgraceful things with that plastic looking girl that looked like a Crayola factory exploded on her. I can smell his scent on her, how dare he."  I whimpered, this newly discovered information hurting me, I felt my newly mended heart crack. Mates are never to mate with any other wolves. That was the Moon Goddess's golden rule, and breaking that rule will cause a painful heartbreak. Even though I was dating Blake, we never crossed the line and do intimate things, despite everything, I stayed faithful to my mate no matter how much he did not deserve it. It really hurt to know that Xavier has been sharing that part of himself with someone else. It hurts to see him again. Him mating with Brittany showed how little he cared for his mate. It hurt me more than it should. Coming back was a bad idea after all. I do not want to relive the past, not when my present is so perfect.