Chapter 17

Picture of Charlotte's wolf, Violet on top

Evangeline

"Evangeline? Please..." Xavier called out, his tone much softer now as he tried to coax me to talk to him. I winced as I felt Brittany burning glare full of distaste and hatred on me, making me instantly move closer to Blake. Never make a Barbie angry, you might as well just go to hell directly. Xavier tried again, "Come on Evangeline, I am your mate, tell me that you feel the mate bond too, I know you do." I whimpered and buried my face deep into Blake's chest, tears falling down my face unendingly. Blake, seemingly having enough, roared in his Alpha voice, "Enough! She's not ready to talk to you Xavier and that is absolutely understandable. You are a pathetic excuse for a mate. Now, we are here for official pack work, please show us to our rooms, it was a long trip. Training starts bright and early tomorrow." Blake rubbed my back reassuringly and gestured me to pick Paws up. Unable to look at anything but the ground, I made my way over to where my puppy was obediently waiting and picked him up. I hugged Paws tightly for comfort, he did not seem to mind the fact that I was practically squeezing the life out of him. Sensing my uneasiness and hurt, Paws simply licked my chin and snuggled into my embrace.

Xavier hung his head in defeat and commanded offhandedly to his Beta, "Alec, please show the Crescent Moon Pack to their rooms." Alec nodded and wordlessly started walking towards the house, leaving us to follow him. Charlotte and Blake walked alongside me, each of their arms wrapped around my shoulder. I felt surrounded by my family as we made our way up the grande stairways of the familiar Moonlight Pack house. Meanwhile, Xavier stayed behind with Brittany. 

I felt Blake put a comforting hand on the small of my back, gently leading me on. Once upstairs, Alec directed us one by one to our rooms, pointing to each designated doors. "Evangeline, your room will be this one," he announced, pointing to a very familiar door. I looked at it close, trying to find the little puppy sticker I put on it when I was 5 years old and I gasped when I found it. It faded but still visible, the realization hit me. This was my old room, the same room my parents specially designed just for me. Alec gave me a gentle and knowing smile before disappearing down the hallway into his room. 

I put Paws down and took a deep breath before slowly twisting the doorknob, having no clue what lays behind the door. The door creaked opened and revealed my childhood room, exactly as it was years ago. My eyes widened at the sight. Everything was left untouched, nothing was out-of-place. I walked in unsurely with Paws obediently at my heels. I dropped my suitcase by the door before looking around, an overpowering nostalgic feeling and sadness overtaking my emotions. Flashes of memories of my childhood days seemed unending. My teary eyes roamed around the room, recalling memories to my brain as they did, unlocking a part in my brain that I had long buried and forgotten. The happy times at Moonlight Pack that were overshadowed by the bad memories and years of abuse here. My small twin size bed still looked so warm and cozy even after all these years, I remember all the fun I had jumping up and down that bed. I glanced at my bookcase filled with stories that I would spend hours at a time reading. I spotted my old toy box in a corner, the very same toy box that daddy built me for my 6th birthday. A beaten and battered old teddy bear sat on my night side table, mommy gave me that bear when I was just a newborn. I felt overwhelmed as each memory brushed my heart and reminded me more and more of my beloved parents. I miss them.

I can't stay here, the memories are still raw and painful. Everything reminded me too much of my lost parents, I can't stay here. Paws whimpered sensing my sadness and distress. I backed away before rushing out of the room, finding myself unable to breathe properly in there. Suddenly, I abruptly bumped into something hard as I did. I slowly look up and sigh a breath of relief when I realized that it was Blake. He took a hold of my shoulders as I stumbled, effectively steadying me. "Woah there little one! Are you okay? Is something wrong?" he asked me worriedly, noticing immediately my tears. I looked up and quickly wiped my eyes and cracked a fake smile, "Sorry about that, I'm okay...thanks." Blake raised an eyebrow, giving me that "tell me what's honestly wrong look". I sighed, knowing that he won't stop asking until I tell him, "I can't stay in there, it's my old childhood room. Everything holds so many recollections, it's overwhelming to be in there." Blake smiled softly, "Would you like to stay with me instead?" I immediately nodded my head, "Yes, please." Blake let go of my shoulders and took my hand instead, "Let's move all your stuff and Paws' in there alright?" Just like magic, tears that I was holding back disappeared and I no longer felt so sad. Blake always knew exactly what to do to make me feel better, that made me adore him more. Blake helped me unpack mine and Paws things in his room. "All done little one! Do you want to go for a walk? It will do you some good." He said as he stretched his arms. I smiled and bounced on my heels, excited to go out for some much need fresh air, "Yes please!" Blake leaned down and lovingly kissed my nose, "I just can't deal, you are just too cute little one!" he cooed.