FIVE

MARVEL'S NEW TUNE
Written by Samuel Grady

June Harmon has been making waves in the world of classical music ever since her performance of Dvorak's Cello Concerto in B Minor at Davies Symphony Hall back in 2011. At only 24, Harmon quickly stepped into the limelight as one of the youngest people to ever join the San Francisco Symphony. She continued to impress as first cellist, before embracing her career as a soloist during the San Francisco Symphony's European Tour. Harmon most recently awed audiences with her rendition of Shostakovich's notoriously demanding and intense Cello Concerto No. 2 at the Royal Albert Concert Hall.

However, Harmon seems to be setting aside her cello for a while and trying her luck in Hollywood. She posted on her Instagram account last night that she would be composing the film score for Marvel's new movie, Captain America: Civil War. The picture quickly gained attention after actors Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan commented and a recent post on Marvel's Twitter account confirmed her announcement. Harmon previously helped compose for Marvel's television show Agents of Shield, although she was not the sole musical producer.

Some have reservations about Marvel's decision. Harmon is after all, fairly inexperienced in music arrangement as a cello player. She is also the first woman to compose an entire soundtrack for Marvel. Composing and conducting are generally dominated by men, even outside of the Marvel franchise. However, Harmon seems wholeheartedly excited and prepared for the massive undertaking this score will entail. We've watched her rise through the ranks of classical musicians throughout the years, and now we wish her the best of luck in this next step in her career!

Pictured: June Harmon, Age 29 © Getty Images

AUTHOR'S NOTE: i am fully aware this is basically a longer, more boring version of last chapter but i don't give a hoot

AUTHOR'S NOTE: i am fully aware this is basically a longer, more boring version of last chapter but i don't give a hoot. ps fun fact: i actually got to play at dvorak hall in prague when i was on tour and it was kind of the coolest thing to happen to me