THIRTY SIX

8 Things You Didn't Know About June Harmon
by Kayla Bennett, BuzzFeed Staff

8 Things You Didn't Know About June Harmonby Kayla Bennett, BuzzFeed Staff

June Harmon, 29, photographed by Ella Wong for BuzzFeed News

Well known in the world of classical music, but relatively unknown everywhere else, June Harmon has steadily been rising in the ranks of our favorite celebrities. She's composing the soundtrack for Captain America: Civil War, which hits theaters this summer. We talked with Harmon about the cello, her feelings on fame, and of course, her cat Bucky.

1. She's a huge Marvel fan.

Kayla Bennett (Buzzfeed): So, June, how does it feel to be composing the soundtrack for the new Marvel movie?

June Harmon: I'm not even being dramatic when I say I cried actual tears when the Russo brothers called me and offered me the job. I've been a fan of Marvel since I was just a kid and reading the comics. I've seen all the movies, even Howard the Duck [laughs]. Iron Man 1 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier will always be my favorites, though, so you can imagine how excited I am for Civil War.

2. She named her rescue cat after one of Marvel's characters, Bucky Barnes.

KB: Speaking of The Winter Soldier, I've been stalking you on social media, including your account for your cat, Bucky. How did he get his name?

JH: Well, his name is Bucky for Bucky Barnes. He was a shelter cat originally, and he was in really bad shape when I adopted him. They even told me not to adopt him because they weren't sure how much longer he was going to live. His front left leg had to be amputated after it got infected from a fight with a dog. He reminded me of Bucky Barnes, between being living a really hard life and missing a limb. He was just this tiny, sickly little thing, but I fell head over heels in love with him, and now he's my best friend.

KB: Not Mel Santiago?

JH: I mean Mel is okay I guess. Just kidding, I love Mel. We've been friends for like four years, I think? Yeah, it must be four because she throws us a friendship anniversary for the first day we met every year.

3. June was technically homeless for two months.

JH: Yeah, I was living in Mel's dorm at UC Berkeley, which I think is a hundred percent against campus rules. I got kicked out of my apartment in the Mission District, for, um, inappropriate behavior.

KB: You mean, like...

JH: Oh god, no! Nothing like that! I just said some things I shouldn't have to my landlord and his wife. Also Bethany, if you're reading this I know you stole my air conditioning unit. Keep it. It's going to be really hot where you're going. (Hell. You're going to hell.)

4. She feels a bit overwhelmed by her sudden fame.

KB: Wow, those comments must be one of the reasons people love you so much. You've been getting really popular on social media, right?

JH: Yeah. Shockingly enough, no teenagers really cared before about the classical music industry [laughs]. It's kind of weird though, to one day go from getting like, two hundred likes on your social media posts to thousands. Part of me is kind of disappointed I'm only getting all this attention because I'm friends with the Civil War cast and not because people actually think I'm a talented musician. Then again, now I can tweet about my cat or my opinions on butts and thousands of people have to read it.

5. June is not dating any of the members of the Marvel Comic Universe.

KB: While we're talking about the Marvel cast, there's been a lot of buzz about whether or not you're dating Civil War star Sebastian Stan. Can you confirm or deny these rumors?

JH: You know, you'd be surprised how often I've been getting that question. I can truthfully say that there is nothing going on between Sebastian and I, or any member of the cast. Except maybe Lizzie Olsen. We're in love [laughs] But in all seriousness, I do have a boyfriend who I like a lot, and that's the end of the story.

KB: Who's this mystery boyfriend, then?

JH: No mystery! His name is Miles Spencer. He owns Spencer's Musical Repair Shop down by the Marina, and I've been getting my cello fixed and tuned there for years. Don't tell him because it'll only inflate his massive ego, but I've had a little bit of a crush on him for ages.

KB: Aww, you two sound adorable. I wish you all the happiness you deserve.

JH: Thank you, that's really sweet.

6. June drinks warm lemonade.

JH: It's not that weird! People drink hot apple juice, don't they? This is just warm juice. But everyone makes fun of me for it! #endstigmasurroundinghotlemonade

Author's Note: Yes, June really did say the words hashtag. And made a hashtag sign with her fingers. We really want to adopt her and keep her here forever.

7. She's got her work cut out for her as a composer.

KB: So how exactly does the process of composing work?

JH: Basically, the first thing I do is called spotting. It's determining when the piece is going to begin and end down to the minute, where it's going to take place in the movie, and what kind of style it needs to consist of. Sometimes composers do this during editing, but a lot of times the composer is actually there during shooting, taking notes and stuff. Then I pretty much sync it up, write the music itself, and record it with an orchestra.

KB: We noticed one of your tweets about Cap's Overture. Can you tell us a little bit more about that?

JH: Totally. Some of main characters have themes, like overarching reprises throughout the film. I'm actually going to sit down with a few of the cast members eventually to have character interviews, where we discuss what their themes should sound like. Cap's for example, has this sort of heroic sound with lots of brass, while Bucky's theme will be softer and slower. T'Challa's is definitely the coolest so far, through. We incorporated djembes, a kind of African drum, so it sounds really awesome and dramatic.

8. She really, really loves the cello.

KB: What's it like playing in the San Francisco Symphony?

JH: Honestly, it's amazing. Playing the cello professionally has been my dream ever since I listened to one of Jacqueline du Pré's performances on tape when I was younger. She was this amazing female cellist in a world dominated by men, and I remember thinking I wanted to be just like her. Now, I get to be Marvel's first female composer, so I guess that dream is sort of coming true!

KB: It's great to hear you talk about something you're so passionate about.

JH: Yeah, I don't think I'll ever fall out of love with the cello. Music will always have this hold on me, and I wouldn't give it up for the world.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: this is incredibly long so claps to you if you actually read all the way through, but i've been hecka inactive so i figured y'all deserved a double update