FORTY TWO

incoming call from miles

accept or decline?

"miles! i was hoping you'd call. i wish you could've come down to los angeles with me."

"listen, june-"

"june? you never call me june. you always do that dumb thing where you call me october or january or some other month."

"i know. i just didn't think it was right to start this conversation like i usually do because this isn't one of our usual conversations."

"wait, is something wrong?"

"june, we need to talk."

"...about what?"

"us."

"shit."

"june, we're not happy."

"is that your way of saying you're not happy?"

"no, it's my way of saying you're not happy."

"wh- that's ridiculous. this is the best relationship i've ever been in miles! we get along great!"

"exactly! don't you think it's weird that we never fight? couples are supposed to disagree."

"no! why would i ever want us to be mad at each other? we're like best friends-"

"june, that's exactly what i'm saying. we are best friends. but we weren't made to be anything more than that."

"i-i don't understand. why are you doing this?"

"june, shit- please don't cry. i want you to be happy."

"i was happy with you."

"no, june you're happy with him."

"miles, we've talked about this. sebastian and i were never anything more than friends."

"june, i'm not jealous. i should be but i'm not jealous at all. because you should be with him."

"miles-"

"june. i've known you for years. when you talk about music you twist your fingers together and your whole face lights up and the way you talk is infectious."

"you talk about sebastian the same way you talk about music."

"..."

"june?"

"oh, my god."

"i- oh, my god. you're right."

"well, yeah."

"b-but, how? how could i have feelings for him and never realize it?"

"because you were scared."

"i still am!"

"shit, miles, what do i do."

"don't panic. just tell him."

"but what about you?"

"i'm going to be just fine, june."

"okay. hey, miles?"

"yeah?"

"i still love you even if it's not the way i thought."

"me too. now go tell him."

"okay. i can't believe i'm doing this. okay. bye, miles."

"bye, august."

AUTHOR'S NOTE: the only reason miles broke up with june in a phone call is because i was too lazy to write a real life chapter but we all know he would do it in person like a gentleman. also, jeb. it's happening. nobody panic.