chapter two

harry ;

"fuck, no no no don't do that." niall gritted his teeth and started pushing the buttons on his controller rapidly. "no! i said don't do that, you fucker!"

i let out a laugh at that, easily getting past his players in the remote controlled game of footie we were playing on his console. it was amusing to watch how seriously niall took the video game, and how much of a sore loser he was afterwards.

i glanced over at him quickly, and held in a chuckle. his eyes were squinted and his tongue poked out at the corner of his mouth as he payed close attention to the small screen in front of him. he must have sensed me looking at him, because he grinned.

"like what you see, eh?" his irish accent called out to me but his eyes never left the screen.

i didn't answer him, just turned back to the game and laughed quietly, which only confused the lad.

"what's so funny?" his attention was finally diverted over to me.

"oh, nothing." i smirked. "just found it rather amusing how i can still beat your ass, without even looking at the screen."

as soon as the words left my mouth, he turned right back to the game, but it was too late. my fingers pressed down onto to the small buttons and i let out a victorious yell as one of my players kicked the ball past niall's goalie. the swish of the ball hitting against the net only made my smile and his frown bigger.

"that's...that's not fucking fair!" he instantly shouted, tossing his controller to the ground. "you're a cheat!"

i grinned and leaned back in the gamer chair, putting my arms behind my head comfortably. i closed my eyes and enjoyed the bask of winning. i usually did win, and niall's reaction was usually always the same, but it was still fun to listen to. 

i opened one eye and looked over at him. his face was bright red and he was gesturing between me and the tv repeatedly, as if trying to prove his point.

"you can't just fucking distract me like that in the middle of a game! it's against the rules for fuck's sake!"

"well then i guess that makes me a rule breaker, now doesn't it?" i smirked and sat up, pretending to ignore his scoff. 

maybe i wasn't what some would call a rebel or rule breaker, but i could still have my moments. sure, i didn't smoke weed or drive motorcycles like some, but i still wore tight pants. and everyone knows, the pants make the man. 

"mate, you are the farthest thing from a fucking rule breaker." niall got up, pushing his chair back as he walked into the kitchen of his apartment. 

"hey!" i protested, getting up and following him into the smaller than average kitchen. "i can be at times!" 

niall didn't seem to be listening though as he looked through the cabinets lazily for a glass. dirty dishes were piled up along the sink and counters. it bugged me to no end of how much of a slob he was, but i knew better than to say anything.

niall and i have known each other since grade ten, when he first moved to london from his home country of ireland. he had instantly fit in with his cool accent and bubbly personality, and he sort of took me under his wing. 

in school i had always been quiet, never one to speak out of turn or much at all really. i had a few  good friends, but niall was by far the closest. even if he was a little slob. 

"oh really?" niall snorted in amusement.

i nodded, my arms crossed stubbornly even though he couldn't see me. he was currently drinking straight out of the water gallon, apparently given up on the search for a glass.

"yes really." i repeated once he had finished, making a face at the sight.

"what about that time in grade eleven and you got dared to steal acton's team mascot, and after an hour you ended up returning it because you felt bad." he exaggerated the last word to prove his point .

i groaned at the memory. luke hemmings, captain of the football team back in school, had dared me to take the rivaling team's mascot for the week before the big game. it was quite easy actually, considering their mascot was an ant farm. but i felt terrible about it afterwards, i mean, what if someone genuinely cared for these ants? what if something happened to them while they were in my possession? i couldn't do it.

so i returned them. it earned me a month of silence from the school, and the acton ants were not very pleased with me. but it was worth it in the end. because when i returned to their school, the ant farm in my hands, i saw one girl's eyes light up. her mousy brown hair was tied in two pony tails and her smile was genuine. she was beautiful, in every aspect.

it was that moment that i knew i had done the right thing. 

"m'not gonna argue with you, ni." i never really told anyone the full story about the beautiful girl and her ants, and i knew if i ever told niall, he would just laugh and call me a twat.

my phone vibrated in my pocket. i took it out, and smiled a little. it was a reminder i had set for myself, it was twenty till noon. 

"i should be going soon anyways," 

niall must have seen my smile because he , too, grinned. 

"noon already, eh?" he chuckled and leaned back against the kitchen counter. "when am i finally gonna meet this mystery girl?"

i shook my head quickly, i was too easy to read apparently. niall knew of my daily visits to quilts, the coffee shop down the road. and maybe, just maybe, had i mentioned the girl i'd been fancying for the past month or two.

"i don't even know her name yet, ni." i chuckled. "i kinda would like to meet her before you do."

"why don't you just talk to her already?" he made it sound like it was the easiest thing in the world. which, of course it was to him, but for me; it was just about the opposite.

"pull some of that styles charm, ya know?" he pouted out his bottom lip, managing to wink and blow a kiss at the same time. 

i laughed, shaking my head again at him. the "styles charm" did not exist. that i was absolutely positive of. maybe the horan charm, the girls all swooned for his thick accent and carefree attitude. while i on the other hand, just seemed to repel most, with my slight ocd and shyness. 

"c'mon mate, at least promise that you'll talk to her today." niall pressed on, his expression serious now.

my mouth went dry just at the thought of talking to the coffee house girl. i was seriously willing to take a chug of that water gallon myself now, but then thought better of it; remembering where it had previously been. 

"i can't do that, ni. i'll be a stuttering mess!" i protested, cringing slightly at the thought. 

the irish lad only shrugged, walking back into his room. he called over his shoulder to me.

"you'll have to do it at some point." 

i sighed, knowing it was the truth. i slipped on my jumper and shoes before exiting the apartment quietly. as i walked down the stairs, niall's words echoed inside my head.

he was right. i would have to, so why not now? why not today

it was then that i, harry styles, made a promise to myself to talk to the coffeehouse girl and make her mine. 

. . . 

hello guys. thank you for bearing with me on not updating. my laptop had been broken, but it's all fixed now so updates will be more frequent, i promise. 

i would really appreciate it if you voted and left me feedback. it honestly keeps me writing.  and this story is nominated for a 1D watty award, link is in the external link. it'd be dandy if you went and voted for me.

dedication goes to the one and only zoe because she's absolutely perfect in every way and i love her.

vote / comment / fan