Chapter 15

Kara's busy work schedule hadn't allowed for much more than work, super-heroing, and bringing Lena food as she worked from
home (IM SORRY I HAD TO BREAK FOR A MOMENT TO SAY THAT I STAN 5H SO HARD)

Kara had found herself at the brunette woman's apartment more and more, it was an escape for her, and of course she got to be with Lena.

Yet the more time she spent with the woman, the more Kara realized how much she liked her

Lena, with her emerald eyes
Lena, with her sparkling smile
Lena, with her slight Irish accent that Kara knew had never worn off, even after her adoption
Lena, with her grateful hugs
Lena, with her bubbling personality that seemed totally counter to the cold exterior she put on but Kara knew that she was quirky and nerdy and loved to talk about science and art and all her big ideas
Lena.

The woman had been on her mind constantly, so Kara decided to head over to her apartment with the usual carry out a little early that night so she could see her sooner.

As she knocked on the door to Lena's apartment, Kara could hear singing. For once, she broke her own rule, and used her X-ray vision to see what was happening. Much to her surprise, Lena was working her way through the kitchen, singing and dancing, using a hairbrush as her microphone as she sang out all the words to "Mr. Brightside."

Kara giggled as she watched Lena dance, but straightened up as the woman approached the door. As it swung open, Lena looked relaxed, and happy to see Kara, pulling her into the apartment by her arm.

"Um-i brought food...."

"Oh thank god I thought you were going to make me starve!"

Kara rolled her eyes as she smiled

"It's not my fault that I've spoiled you to the point that you've basically forgotten how to cook."

Lena gasped as if she were insulted, playfully hitting Kara's rock hard bicep

"I can totally cook for myself, I just like carry out more, and your company."

Kara felt a vicious blush creeping up her neck, and she desperately hoped Lena couldn't see it.

"So what's got you in such a good mood today?"

Lena grabbed the food from Kara and grabbed plates out of the cabinet as she spoke

"Well I get cleared to go back to work soon, and I've gotten all caught up on paperwork so I'll have some free time, and of course, like I mentioned, you always bring my favorite food so I have something to look forward to."

Kara laughed, but was pulled away from her conversation as her phone buzzed. She pulled it out to find a text from Maggie.

Hey lil Danvers, we need to talk. I'm not saying it's an emergency, but sooner rather than later.

Kara bit her lip in concern, pushing her glasses up and crinkling her brow

"Kara? Is everything okay?"

Kara looked up at curious green eyes

"Yeah it's fine, I just got a weird text from Alex's girlfriend so I have to go meet her... is that okay?"

Lena looked as if she was about to start laughing

"Are you asking my permission to go talk to your family?!"

Kara blushed slightly, giggling as she looked at Lena

"I was just being polite, you know what I meant."

Lena put her food on a plate while looking at Kara with a raised eyebrow

"Yes, Kara Danvers. You hereby have my permission to ditch dinner with me to go on a super secret mission to discuss undisclosed information with your sister's girlfriend."

Kara laughed as she made her way to go hug Lena. As the woman pulled her into her arms, Kara's whole body felt warm and tingly, and she wanted with every fiber of her being to stay with Lena, but she knew that Maggie most likely needed her, so she broke away.

As Kara walked towards the door, she heard Lena call after her

"You're gonna have to bring more food if you want to make up for this one Danvers."

Kara rolled her eyes, laughing to herself.

"Whatever, Luthor."

As soon as Kara shut the door behind her, she texted Maggie back.

Meet you at my place in a few?

Maggie respond almost instantaneously

Already there, I let myself in

You better not eat anything

Maggie responded, and Kara took off flying towards her apartment at super speed

Too late lil Danvers

As Kara entered the window, she saw Maggie cuddled on the sofa with a tub of vegan ice cream that she had left in Kara's refrigerator for special occasions

"Hey I thought you had taken the good food!"

Maggie looked terrified at the intrusion, but visibly relaxed as she realized it was Kara

"I wouldn't dream of it lil Danvers. Thanks for coming."

"This is my apartment, I should be thanking you for coming all this way to talk... is everything okay? Are you okay? Is stuff okay with Alex?"

Kara and Maggie had an interesting bond, and it was strong. When they first met, Kara and Maggie weren't that close, especially after Maggie broke Alex's heart. But over time, fighting crime, Alex, and the revelation that Kara was Super-girl brought them closer. Now, they would call each other just to talk, and Alex got a little jealous since they had become such good friends, but Kara was still concerned that the tough cop had stopped by to talk to her. Usually it was because she needed some relationship advice.

"Yeah actually, everything's really good. I just had a-um, question of sorts."

Kara sat next to her on the sofa

"Okay? Shoot."

Maggie didn't say anything, but instead pulled out a small red velvet box

Kara gasped

"OHMYRAOYOUREGOINGTOASKALEXTOMARRYYOUOHMYRAOOHMYRAO-"

Maggie laughed as Kara spazzed

"Well I'm certainly not asking you to marry me, but yes, I want to ask Alex.... I just-... wanted to get your permission first? I know that's sort of weird and traditional and all of us are super untraditional but still I thought-"

Maggie couldn't finish as Kara drug her into a bone crushing hug

"Danvers-can't....breathe"

"Oh Rao I'm sorry Maggie I'm just so excited oh my Rao you don't have to ask my permission but of course you can- you SHOULD- marry Alex. Absolutely. 100%."

Maggie laughed, opening the box so Kara could see the ring.

"Thank you lil Danvers, I appreciate that. Do you think she'll like this?"

Kara inspected the ring that Maggie presented before her, thinking of Alex as she looked at it. It had a small gold band, a beautiful oval diamond in the middle, and on each side were clusters of smaller diamonds.

"Maggie, it's beautiful, it's perfect, she'll love it... I mean of course she will, she loves you!"

Maggie blushed gently, hugging Kara again

"Thank you lil Danvers, for everything. Thank you."

Kara smiled as she hugged her future sister-in-law back

"Of course Mags, that's what family is for."

A/N: fighting compulsory heteronormativity, one fan fiction chapter at a time. Love you guys :) enjoy the weekly update!