Chapter 3: Making a Splash!

Serena's POV

"MUMMMMMM!!!" Serena called from the top of the stairs. Grace sighed, and walked to the bottom of the stairs and looked up at her daughter, who was leaning over the railing.

"There's no need to shout so loud!" her mother chided, placing her hands on her hips. "What's the matter?"

Serena's eyes were frantic, and her hair was in a mess. "Do you know where you put my swimsuit? The really pretty blue one-piece, with flower pattern on it?" she asked, jumping from one foot to the next impatiently.

Grace frowned, tapping her chin in thought. "I thought we threw it out at the end of last summer. Remember? It was too small on you."

Serena groaned, and rested her forehead on the banister. "What am I going to do?! I don't a swimming costume and Gary's party is this afternoon! And I don't have time to go shopping now!" she said, practically ripping out her hair in frustration.

Her mother thought about this for a second. "Wait a moment... What about that cute frilly pink swimsuit your grandmother gave you last year?"

Serena frowned, not recalling that she had ever owned such a thing. "I don't know what you're talking about..." she said.

Grace quickly went out of sight, then returned a few minutes later, holding up the frilly pink bikini. Serena groaned again. She remembered it now. "I. Am. Not. Wearing. That." she stated simply, crossing her arms. "Never in a million years."

Her mother tried to hide her smile. "Well its either this, or nothing. Your choice."

Serena growled angrily, then stomped down the stairs, snatched the swimsuit out of her mother's hands and closed the door to her bedroom with a loud bang.

***

Serena quickly pulled the flowing pink summer dress over her swimmers, and grabbed her sunglasses from her vanity table. She ran down the stairs and picked up her tote bag from the front door.

"I'll be back after dinner! See you!" she called behind her to her mother, and shut the front door.

Serena sat down on the front steps, resting her chin in the palm of her hand, waiting. It wasn't long before May's father, Norman, drove up in front of their house.

May rolled down the window, and stuck her head out. "Let's go Serena!" she called, and waved to her.

Serena opened the door to the back seat, and slid in next to May's younger brother Max. Norman then began to drive off to Shalour City - where Gary lived.

May Martinez had straight light brown hair that brushed her shoulders, and deep blue eyes. She always wore a red bandana over her hair, and a matching red short sleeved jacket over a white shirt and blue shorts.

Her brother Max, however, was quite the opposite. His hair was so black, that it almost looked blue, and he had dark brown eyes that were framed by a pair of large glasses. Max always dressed smartly, with a buttoned up shirt and matching sneakers.

Although the two siblings looked nothing alike, their personalities were extremely similar.

"Thanks for the ride Mr Martinez," Serena said politely. May's father let out a booming laugh. "Think nothing of it!" he said bashfully, waving a hand.

"Could you please keep both hands on the wheel?" his wife Caroline said, gripping the armrest of the passenger seat.

May rolled her eyes. "It would make more sense if she had some stupid driving phobia. That would at least explain why she won't let me get my license until I've graduated school," May said. "Scaredy-cat," she muttered under her breath.