Prologue

For The Truth

By FairaTheFangirl

2014

Dear diary.

I stare at the sentence for barely a second before scribbling it out. It is a phrase far too mushy for use by a soldier.

To the journal.

Not specific enough. I sigh and scratch it out too. I'll tear a hole in the paper if I keep this up for much longer.

I stop and think for a moment. Why am I writing this? What will be contained on these pages cannot be seen by anyone, not even my most trusted allies. It can't be plugged into the computers, where the database could be hacked. Why?

Because it's the truth.

For the truth, I write. Sighing, I lean back and set the pen down. It's perfect.

I sit forward again and begin my first entry.

People say a lot of things about time travel. They call it glorious. Revolutionary. Awe-inspiring. A phenomena of science.

None of it is true.

My name is Maxx, and if I'm here for anything at all, it's to spread the word. I've seen things that no one would dare imagine, and they must be brought to light.

What I've encountered has changed everything. I can only hope that somewhere out there is another like me who will finally understand.

The trouble with being this unique is that you either have to suppress it or forever live as an outsider.

By following through with the crazy idea that I've sprouted in my head, I will be the first to follow neither of these paths. It will be a bold new beginning, but it will have many terrible consequences.

The Time Keeping Agency, my employers, will stop at nothing to keep their secret from being exposed. It's up to me to race against time and stop their foul game before it can begin. Every second thousands more paradoxes are being created, each with the potential to rip the very fabric of the universe apart. At this point, it's only a matter of time before one does.

I'm not sure how many can sense what I sense, feel what I feel, or remember what I remember. The only things I can trust are myself and this journal.

So, let's go back to the very beginning. Initiation. The day this all started. The day that would change my life forever.

Buckle up. It's going to be a very bumpy ride.