Chapter 9- Lies

In a parallel universe, pretty much everything is the same. However, there are a few crucial differences- differences that I was about to notice.

Have you ever experienced frustration? I have, but it was nothing compared to what I would feel when I found out that my doppelgänger got the girl.

While I was wrapped up in the everyday Venn diagram, bigger changes were happening. The Secret was nearing, and I had to be ready to experience it.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Did Bil send you?" Maxx asks when I don't respond.

"Well... not exactly. I kind of snuck here," I admit.

"Ah. Bil was all for it in this universe," Vanessa comments. I study her face. Is it possible for her to be even more beautiful here?

Maxx coughs. I start and avert my gaze, realizing that I have probably been staring for a long time.

Something catches my eyes. I see that Maxx and Vanessa are... holding hands?!

"You two are together?!" I nearly yelp. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing jealousy, confusion, or frustration at the moment.

Vanessa smiles and looks down. "Yeah. We've been dating for... how long now?" She glances at my counterpart. I note with disgust that his hair is parted on the opposite side from mine.

"About two months," he replies, looking at her and smiling.

"Two months? We haven't even known each other two hours!" I'm still incredulous about the whole thing.

"Maxx, you've got to remember that you're in another world now. Few things will be the exact same, so you've got to do your best to cope with the differences," Vanessa gently reminds me. I sigh.

"Fine." My tone sounds like a two-year-old's, but I don't care very much at the moment.

"Let's give you a tour around the place, shall we?" Maxx asks, eager to dispel the awkwardness.

I nod and hop off of the podium where I'm still standing. The red glow filling the space catches my attention as I notice it for the first time. It's the same color scheme as the cafe where Bil and I met up.

"Solaris, huh?" I muse. "What does the TPC mean to you?" I ask the couple currently guiding me around.

"Time Protector's Cafe. Why?" Maxx answers. I start laughing and don't stop for a good minute.

"That's hilarious," I grin. "It stands for Time Protector's Corporation in my world. Solaris is the cafe." Now it's Maxx's turn to laugh.

"Are you two quite finished?" Vanessa asks, her hand on her hip. However, the smile on her rosy lips betrays her harsh words.

"Yes, I suppose so," I chuckle. "Lead the way." I sweep my arms out, encompassing the entirety of the room.

Maxx and Vanessa give me a basic tour, pointing out different machines and their purposes. We finally circle back to the contraption that initiates travel between dimensions.

"How exactly does parallel travel work?" I question, curious. It didn't quite feel different from regular time travel, but I knew there had to be something that made it odd.

"Well, time is a grid. When you travel in regular time, you can go backwards or forwards- so, vertically," Maxx explains.

"Parallel travel is the opposite. You go side to side, or horizontally, to skip between dimensions," Vanessa finishes.