Chapter 5- Arrest

Being arrested is a massive inconvenience. You would not believe the amount of paperwork I had to fill out afterwards. In addition, I would end up returning to a trashed apartment. Talk about spring cleaning.

That armband, or rather, the figure that showed up from the armband, taught me a few interesting things. But most of all, it opened my eyes and planted a tiny seed of doubt in my mind. Nothing was ever quite the same after that, no matter how much I wanted it to be.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"I don't understand," I say.

"Well, lucky for you, you don't have to," the lead man bites back. "Search the premises," he orders the remaining police members.

"How do you have the right to just rip apart my home?" I'm stalling, and hopefully he won't notice it.

In response the man pulls out a piece of paper and shoves it right in front of my nose.

"This is a warrant. I would suggest that you learn to read if you want to understand it," he smirks.

"What are you looking for, then?" I ask, ignoring his insult. Of course I already know the answer to this, but it will help my case if I play innocent.

"Mr. Vasser, I was informed that you are still in possession of the armband from initiation. You do understand that it is highly illegal to harbor such a thing, correct?"

"Of course. Which is why I don't have it." At that moment one of the men comes back from overturning some piece of furniture.

"Sir. We haven't found anything," he informs the head man. The leader regards him for a long minute. I hold my breath.

The seconds seem like hours as I wait for his decision. He could leave now, and I might actually get away with this.

He narrows his eyes. "Keep looking." Or that could happen.

"Yes sir," the man replies. He salutes, then turns back to his work.

"The name's Stev Greydon. Though you can just call me Officer Greydon," the lead man says.

"Well, Greydon, can I get you anything? Some coffee, perhaps?" I question, my tone sarcastic.

"That's Officer Greydon to you," he snaps. "You can't prove your innocence quite yet, Vasser."

"Mm. Just you wait and see." Greydon crosses his arms and regards the men still digging through my apartment. I watch, silent.

Suddenly he grows rigid, as if he has just realized something. "Where is your robot?" Greydon asks.

"I don't-" I start.

"Don't lie to me," he interrupts. "I have your record of purchase right here. Or rather, your record of gifts. Here." He points at a line on the clear display of the tablet he's holding. "Personal robot servant. Five years ago." Greydon looks up. "Is that correct?" He raises an eyebrow. His hazel eyes study my face, looking for any hint of a lie.

"Fine. She's being repaired," I fib. I keep my features as smooth as the fiberglass walls. If this is to be a contest of wills, then I will not walk away the loser.

Greydon is the first to break eye contact. I have won this round, but I don't yet know what the price will be.

"Officer! I found something!" one of the men yells. I hear the faint ding of the elevator doors as they open. It takes everything in me not to groan.

"Coming," Greydon calls. "You. Stay right here," he orders me. He walks towards the man who just shouted.

I turn and look for a means of escape. The windows are too strong to break through, and a police member guards the door. I can't pass through the floor, but if I can get to the balcony I might have a shot.

As discreetly as possible, I inch towards the hallway leading to my bedroom and the adjacent balcony.

I'm almost to the entryway when I hear my name called. "Vasser. Explain this," Greydon shouts from the other end of the apartment.

Soz comes gliding out of the elevator, my briefcase in hand. She comes over to me and drops it at my feet.

"I thought I told you to stay where you were," the officer says when he sees my new position. His eyes narrow. "What's in the briefcase?"

"Files. Work things," I say. It's not technically a lie, especially because I have no way of knowing that Soz put the armband in it.

"Then you wouldn't mind if we opened it?"

"Actually, I would. Everything is alphabetized. I'd hate to lose all of that work," I say.

"It'll only take a minute." He grabs the briefcase and starts leafing through it. I notice the corner of the armband peeking out from the very bottom of the papers. No. No, no, no.

I take off running. The balcony isn't far, but I'm outnumbered. If I make a mistake now there won't be a second chance.

"After him!" Greydon shouts. The pounding of multiple pairs of feet sounds behind me. I think I hear the clatter of the briefcase being dropped.

I stumble over the corner of a plush blue rug. I'm not even sure why I bought it, and now I'm regretting it more than ever.

The door to my room is still open. They're close now, and I feel someone's arm graze my shoulder. I put on an extra burst of speed.

The balcony is right in front of me. I pull myself up so I'm standing on the railing. I lean my weight forward, preparing to jump.

Then the realization of how stupid this plan is hits me. I'm 714 stories up. Throwing myself over the edge of the balcony will kill me as soon as I hit anything solid. I have no idea what I was thinking.

Oh well.

"Here goes nothing," I whisper to myself.

And then I jump.